Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Setup additional ISL

Hi there,

in an existing environment we have "only" 1 ISL connection between SAN switches. How can we setup up additional ISL´s, so we have 2 ISL´s between switches for redundancy?

THX

Valued Contributor

Re: Setup additional ISL

Hi,

If there is already an ISL configured between the two switchs, just configure one additional port in each switch with the same config as the ports that hold the ISL, connect a cable in between an voilà, you have a new ISL configured.

There is nothing else to verify, just check the output of aptpolicy to check the path selection policy.

Rgds,

Felipon

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your answer. This was my "solution" as well (for a customer). He told me about some "issues" after connecting the switches via this way. Atm I have no further information. But we don´t need a trunking license? Where is the difference between 2 ISL connections with and without trunking license?

THX

Eli
Contributor

Hi,

I order to connect switches with 2 ISL's you don't need Trunking license.

The main difference between Trunk and single ISL is that trunk seems to switch like "1 big ISL".

So, if one ISL within the trunk fails, no fabric rebuild process triggred.

Of course there are additional differences (like utilization of the ISL's), but they are less important.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.