Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
cesar.renteria

Service Alert no TX buffer credits

Hi to all:

We have two switches brocade 5100 and brocade 300 and we are monitoring  our SAN via SNMP, with Nagios tool; and we have received alerts constantly with the next message:

CRIT - assuming 2Gbit/s, In: 145.29B/s, Out: 34.29KB/s, no TX buffer credits: 24.60%CRIT, Phy:inSync(6), Op:smileysurprised:nline(1), Adm:smileysurprised:nline(1).

minutes later other one:

WARN - assuming 2Gbit/s, In: 23.20KB/s, Out: 61.48KB/s, no TX buffer credits: 7.74%WARN, Phy:inSync(6), Op:smileysurprised:nline(1), Adm:smileysurprised:nline(1);

and for last other one:

OK - assuming 2Gbit/s, In: 5.65KB/s, Out: 5.50KB/s, Phy:inSync(6), Op:smileysurprised:nline(1), Adm:smileysurprised:nline(1).

The performance is normal; has not been degraded.

Messages appear in: 2 ports connected to HBAs, and an other two ports connected to  storages.

So, the question is: If really there is something wrong with our environment?

Regards from Mexico.

Cesar Renteria

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24

Re: Service Alert no TX buffer credits

Cesar,

I've made in the past diverse test with Nagios and other Commercial and Free SNMP Browser , and noted follow.

I get 3 diverse error message!

what is want to say is, if the link/port work fine, you should ignore this message, maybe test the same with another SNMP Browser to see if the alert is continued.

Is my opinion.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor
andreas.bergelt1

Cesar,

I am not a Nagios expert and let us assume that the collected values are correct. I would say that the ports where you have 25% of the time "no buffer credits" and showing small throughput like the above I would assume that the device is really slow or is overloaded with simultaneous open requests.

If you say the devices are operating as expected and everybody is happy with the performance you should think to change your thresholds within Nagios. So increase the No TX Buffer Credits threshold.

Regards,

Andreas

New Contributor
christoph.reeg

Cesar,

which Nagios check are you using? Can you recommend it?

Regards,

Christoph

New Contributor
cesar.renteria

Hi Christoph:

The Nagios Core version that we are using es the Version 3.4.1(www.nagios.org), and yes, i recommended it!

And even you can check the plug in : check_MK(check_mk - Mathias Kettner) make the nagios more friendly even.

Regards,

Cesar.

New Contributor
christoph.reeg

Hi Cesar,

thanks!

We are using Nagios and I've heard check_mk but I didn't know that you can check the brocade switches with check_mk. It looks really nice. The next thing I have to test.

Regards,

Christoph

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.