Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Server connects when using old zones but not in newly created zone.

HI

I have 2 M14 that we are using at our DR site. They are on FOS 5.3.0 and has 2 blade modules that connects to it. WE recently changed from port zoning to WWN zoning.

Everything worked fine. We then added a DS8100 to the SAN. I configured the aliases on the 2 M14. I tried to zone existing servers, that is attached to other storage, to the new DS8100. I can see in the newly created zone that everything is connected but when I try to create the host on the new DS8100 the HBA of the host didn't login to the DS8100.

I tried every trick in the book I now but can't seem to fix the problem. I then decided to add the 2 aliases of the new DS8100 to an exiting zone that was created for a old DS8100 that I know we didn't have issues with. The host logged in instantly, Here is ex. of the zones.

New zone create that didn't work.

SRV001005_HBA1

DS8100_NEW_P1

DS8100_NEW_P2

Old one that I added the DS8100 ports to looked like this before I added the new ports and had no issues.

SRV001005_HBA1

DS8100_OLD_P1

DS8100_OLD_P2

I then changed the above zone and it worked I could see the server host logging into the new DS8100.

SRV001005_HBA1

DS8100_OLD_P1

DS8100_OLD_P2

DS8100_NEW_P1

DS8100_NEW_P2

PLease help me I'm really confused about this.

Super Contributor

Re: Server connects when using old zones but not in newly created zone.

Are you sure that all your zones were in the active configuration?

You can check it with cfgactvshow. This will show you the current running configuration.

In our environment servers had sometimes problems to see an additional new storage array. Zoning is not the issue. After a portdisable and portenable the server is able to login to the second array. This issue is related to HBA login process and how storage array response in case if no lun masking was done before the zoning was created. In our case we have not DS8100 arrays.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Andreas

GK
Contributor

Good to have a ports bounce (Portdisable / Portenable) for new Storage ports connected, also better configure the ports speed (using Portcfgspeed slot/port) to static instead of Auto negotiate.. especially for Target ports (Storage ports) on the fabric.

Super Contributor

as per my practical experiences for blade servers, I have seen this. doing a proper zoning, no device found, then I unmask from storage end, delete the zone, create the zone again, it worked. also by rebooting the server also solved the problem.

so have you checked ur zone is active or not by

cfgactvshow                Display Effective zone configuration information

admin> cfgactvshow | grep VLDB02_Tape
zone:  VLDB02_Tape

it should show u like this

have u checked thorugh fcping also.

Occasional Contributor

Hi guys

Thanx for all your help. I have come to see where our problem is. I use webtools to do zoning. I ran the cli command you guys gave me and could see that the zone was there but it was not in the active zone set. Do you know what can cause this problem between webtools and the cli?

Kind regards

Super Contributor

which FOS version is this? In latest ones, some of WT fuctions are migrated to DCFM.So if you have DCFM, pls do the zoning through that. Otherwise you do it through CLI. We are UNIX people, so CL I is beether for us.

You should put the zone in active zoneset.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.