Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
kdagli

San switch password-recovery procedure fails

Hi all,

I need a password recovery for my Sanswitch 24b. I tried all default passwords to login but no chance,

Now, I am trying to recover root password,using pasword recovery procedure like many other threads.

1) Start system. 2) Recover password. 3) Enter command shell. Option?

Enter command shell

printenv

boot XX -s

Here,system have to boot into linux and i have to type mount commands BUT it boots normally ; not into linux ,and asks me again a password.So i could not write mount commands.

What is the issue with this process. Can anybody help me?

Regards

Kaan

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

Re: San switch password-recovery procedure fails

--->>>...my Sanswitch 24b

post please more exactely Switch Model

--->>>...BUT it boots normally not into linux....

show as Boot Password is set, in such case you have to open a call with Brocade in order to obtain Recovery String.

TechHelp24
New Contributor
kdagli

Thanks for answer,

It's brocade 300 san switch

I already contacted with customer service but, because of warrent stuff, they request a huge price to do this.

(price is equal to an used san switch)
If u suggest me any other way i am ready to do this
Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

I'm verry sorry, but there is no other way or method to reset the Boot Pasword to Factory default, because as mentioned in my preview post, a Recovery String Password is required, and this can be obtain only from Brocade.

TechHelp24
New Contributor
matt12

With these newer 8GB switches, you can't just 'boot "MEMADDR" -s'. If you notice in the output of the 'printenv' command, the 'OSLoadOptions' variable is set to 'quiet:quiet'. This variable needs to be changed to 'single' using the command 'setenv OSLoadOptions single'. Issue the command 'saveenv' to save the new variable and reboot the switch. It will boot into single user mode and allow you to issue the mount commands and the passwddefault command. Once you're done, go back into the command shell and reset the OSLoadOptions variable back to 'quiet:quiet'.

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

matt12,

--->>>....you can't just 'boot "MEMADDR" -s'. If you notice in the output of the 'printenv' command, the 'OSLoadOptions' variable is set to 'quiet:quiet'.

If BOOT Password is set, and in this case show as the user forgot the BOOT Password, there can be resetted only with Password Recovery String.

The procedure you mention here is for FOS Password Recovery and not for BOOT Password Recovery

TechHelp24
New Contributor
matt12

It looks like he's able to get into the command shell just fine, but he's trying to boot with '-s' switch in order to boot into single user mode to mount filesystems and issue the passwddefault command. The problem he's having isn't with the boot password, it's that using the '-s' switch will not boot into single user mode on these switches.

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

command shell start anyway

TechHelp24
New Contributor
kdagli

Thanks you two,

I contaced to Brocade for Recovery String Password stuff. They gave me a code for Password recovery and i tried to do as mentioned. BUT it didnt work. I created new password as "password" and tried to login with this but no chance didnt worked....

Thanks for clear explanation. I solved problem with this way.In my switch OSLoadOptions was "quite".

First i changed it with " quite:quite".. than booted.IT booted normally,not into linux...then i changed OSLoadOptions as "single" as u mentioned.

supprise it booted into linux.

Typed a serial commands mentioned in PasswordRecoveryProcedure

mount -o remount,rw,noatime /

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt

/sbin/passwddefault

reboot -f

When i rebooted switch, it boot into linux again. So opened commandshell again and changed OSLoadOptions as "quite" again.Than it booted normally,not linux

When command prompt appear, switch wanted to create new passwords for root,admin and user.

I created new passwords and successfully logined with my new passwords.

Thank you again for care and help.I hope, this guide will be usefull for next victims .)

Regards

Kaan

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.