Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

SW4100 Hot Code Activation Issue with HP/Linux Machine

The SAN I administer is made up solely of SW4100’s.  Yesterday I upgraded all switches from FOS 5.3.1b to v6.0.0a.  My understanding with Hot Code Activation was no disruption to service – no loss of light, no dropped frames when the switch is reset as the ASICs remain online. 

Only two servers on the SAN reported an issue. Both servers are the same platform as they provide a cluster (RAC) service.  When the firmwaredownload completed and the switch reset, the hosts lost connectivity to their disk devices.  Host specific detail:

• Hardware: HP BL460c
  • HBAs: LPe1105
  • HBA Firmware: 2.50A8

• O/S: Linux, RedHat AS4
  • Kernel: 2.6.9-89.ELsmp
  • SDD Driver: 1.6.3.0-9
  • LPFC Driver: 8.0.16.21-5

The hosts connected to the SAN include Solaris, AIX, Linux (different kernels) and Windows.  No other host connected to the SAN reported an issue and service was maintained as I would have expected.  As far as I am aware, only the aforementioned two Linux hosts lost disk devices.

I can not find anything online that would point to what may have caused the issue.  Any ideas??

Super Contributor

Re: SW4100 Hot Code Activation Issue with HP/Linux Machine

Upgrade from 5.3.x to 6.0.x is in Standalone Switch Disruptive.

Super Contributor

Re: SW4100 Hot Code Activation Issue with HP/Linux Machine

you may have to upgrade the HBA driver and firmware version. check Brocade compatibiltiy matrix for FOS and HBA driver version.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.