Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

SMTP configuration

Hi,

I would like to configure the SMTP alerts based on the Fabric watch parameters configured, I am not able to find an option to mention the mail server information.

could some one share relevant information in this regards

Regards

sujith 

Super Contributor

Re: SMTP configuration

Hi Sujith,

you can use the command "fwMailCfg" to configure the mail server.

This should also be possible within Webtools somewhere in the FabricWatch section.

Please mark the thread as correct or helpful if this is what you  are looking for otherwise let me know.

Regards,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the info.

The "fwmailcfg: has only 5 options. This does not ask for the SMTP server adress. Where to give that information.

HDSLAB_BLR-SW01:admin> fwmailcfg

1  : Show Mail Configuration Information
2  : Disable Email Alert
3  : Enable Email Alert
4  : Send Test Mail
5  : Set Recipient Mail Address for Email Alert
6  : Quit
Select an item  => : (1..6)

current switch version :

HDSLAB_BLR-SW01:admin> version
Kernel:     2.6.14
Fabric OS:  v5.3.1a
Made on:    Mon Apr 21 18:08:48 2008
Flash:      Fri Oct 17 21:55:27 2008
BootProm:   4.6.5

I would like understand how FW works. Is it like this."FW watches the switch for errors. Generated a alert and parallely sends and email".

Is this correct. or is there a change.

Regards

sujith

Super Contributor

Hi,

OH I see that your FOS code is quite old.

In FOS 6.4  you can configure it with fwmailcfg.

You need a proper DNS setup and as I remeber it correctly you can configure the mail server with webtools.

I think you need to open the advanced options to see the mail relay fields.

Sorry I haven't got a switch with FOS 5.3 any longer to verify this.

The basic idea of FabricWatch is what you said.

You can configure how FW reports events. You can configure RASLOG, SNMP Traps, E-Mail and some other ways.

There are nearly 600 values which can be configure.

You have options to report changed values. As well you can configure a high and low threshold which can report above and below values of both thresholds.

Brocade provides a good Fabric Watch guide for FOS 5.3.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Nachricht geändert durch andreas.bergelt I am currently not able to uploade the guide. Sorry..

Occasional Contributor

Dear Andreas,

Thanks for the email,

We have upgraded  the Firmware to 6.4.1 and we are planning to upgrade it to 6.4.2 in the newar futuer.

I could find the configuration option "fwmailcfg". I have configured the relevaent smtp server details and when I did a test email I see that the emails are getting queued.

I have a challenge here. In my environment, SMTP server will not send and email Alert unless there is a from address <xyz@abc.com> configured for every mail/alert that the switch is generating.

Is there a way to mention a "from email id" for every alert/email id that the switch generates. Could you please help me by providing these details.

Regards

sujith

Super Contributor

Did you have configured your DNS settings with your domain &quot;abc.com&quot;?

make sure that you have registered all IPs of your SAN director in DNS.

What is the mail sender name of your test message which the mail relay is bouncing?

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Dear Andreas,

I have not given the domain name in Quot.i have configured as hds.com.

I guess it should be like this. "hds.com" or hds.com&quot or 'hds.com'. Which one should I use?

I have registered all the ip address in DNS as 48kfab1.hds.com

Quest> What is the mail sender name of your test message which the mail relay is bouncing?

Ans> There is no mail generated/bounced. Upon sending a test email , the output says "Mail has been queued"

Could we know the "From Email ID" of the mail/alert switch generats. Is it the name what we menton/register with DNS or would there be any standard from address. In this environemt we need to have a from address as "xyz@hds.com as the domain name is hds.com.

Kindly advice how to proceed.

Regards

sujith

Super Contributor

Hi sujith,

you write:

Ans> There is no mail generated/bounced. Upon sending a test email , the output says "Mail has been queued"

Ask you mail guys why this mail was bounced they should be able to check the logs if you provide the time when you send it. As well they can tell you what the sender address was.

Within the DNSconfig command you do not have to provide any quotes. You need to type only hds.com

I am currently not able to check the default email sender address because I have unconfigured his feature a long time ago.

Andreas

Please share the steps for configure SMTP email notification

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.