Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

SFP incompatible

Bonjour ,

j'ai des switch FC brocade intégrer dans un châssis bladeCenter d'IBM , et des switch FC IMB 2005 16B ( du brocade brandé IBM ) .

j'ai récupéré des SFP depuis les 200616B  de marque IBM-2005 pour les brancher sur les switch BROCADE du châssis , mais il fonctionnent pas , l'interface me dit qu'il y a un problèm de configuration ..

les SFP marchent bien sur l'ancien switch ..

après des recherche je trouve que les switch BROCADE ne fonctionne qu'avec des SFP brocade ! je me dis s'il y a un moyen pour qu'ils marchent auss avec les SFP IBM-2005 qui je pense sont de simple BROCADE brandé IBM !!

any help on this ?? plz

External Moderator

Re: SFP incompatible

Hello,

for you convenience, you should post here in english.

about you question.... I understand you have some problem with SFP, is correct ?

please post exact SFP Part Number, and switch Type.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Sorry i tought it's a french forum.

here's my problem ,

i got a FC switch with an IBM bladeCenter Chassis .

i wannt to re-use SFP from a IBM branded Brocade switch ( IBM 2005 -16B ) , these SFP have vendor name IBM-49Y...

SFP.png

when i plug the SFP on my BROCADE switch its not working and im getting the error :

Port 16 port faulted due to SFP validation failure. Please check if the SFP is valid for the configuration.

on the events  .

when i tried to understant i figured that BROCADE switches checks the SFP vendore name if it's not BROCADE he reject the SFP .

so my question is : there's any way to make the SFP from IBM to work with my brocard switch ?

thanks .

Switch Info

switch.png

Frequent Contributor

Technically yes, with the right equipment. But it is not supported neither by IBM nor by Brocade. So the official answer is most probably: No.

New Contributor

thanks for the "confirmation" ...

External Moderator

IBM Offer in the past with the same Part Number 49Y4123 TWO Different SFP. The one from Avago Tech and the second from JDS Uniphase.

Now, some old JDSU SFP for some reason are not longer Supported by 8G Plattforms.

In such case, is most propable you have JDSU SFP, and this is the reason you get the error message

--->>>....port faulted due to SFP validation failure.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

8G and 16G Brocade switches  (at least the ones sold by IBM) definitely need the Brocade-branded SFPs with the Brocade OUI. It is true that Brocade delivered (and will do in the future) Brocade-branded SFPs of two different manufacturers but both appear to be from Brocade in the sfpshow and on the label.

As far as I know it is not the case that a Brocade-branded SFP is now not valid anymore. You just can't use old 4G non-Brocade-branded SFPs in 8G and 16G switches but have to use the Brocade-branded ones.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.