Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

SAN extension, SFP modules and licenses.

Hi folks,

I hope than someone can illuminate me. I have a couple of questions concerning the SAN extension, SFP module and licenses.

The technical scenario...

Two fabrics: Fabric_A and Fabric_B.

Actually each fabric consists of 2 Brocade 300 (B300) switches and 1 Brocade 200E (B200E) switch.

Fabric_A and Fabric_B will be splitted over two datacenter: Datacenter_1 and Datacenter_2.

The SAN fabric configuration will be symmetric, two switches located in Datacenter_1 (B200E and B300), one in Datacenter_2 (B300).

The distance between datacenters is approximately 600 meters and they will be connected using a fibre channel link (single-mode).

At present the licenses activated on all switches are full fabric and 8 ports on demand.

Is it necessary for the future deployment to purchase the Brocade Extended Fabrics/ISL licenses?

The SFP modules Brocade 4 Gbit/sec LWL 4 km, apparently needed for sites interconnections, can coexist with the optical transceivers Brocade 4 Gbit/sec SWL already installed?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Valued Contributor

Re: SAN extension, SFP modules and licenses.

Is it necessary for the future deployment to purchase the Brocade Extended Fabrics/ISL licenses?

No unless you have a unuauals snall payload per frame to need the license.

By default switches can allocate enough buffer credits to span ~10KM (LE setting) if you have the appropiate SFP's.

The SFP  modules Brocade 4 Gbit/sec LWL 4 km, apparently needed for sites  interconnections, can coexist with the optical transceivers Brocade 4  Gbit/sec SWL already installed?

Yes SW and LW can coexist in a switch/portgroup. However for a long haul ISL to functin properly you'll need SFP's that can span the distance on both ends.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.