Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Request for Documentation: How to migrate FC-AL arrays to a switch zone.

Hi, I need documentation for hints on how to zone up storage arrays which were previously on arbitrated loops.

Switch: (Brocade 200E)
Server: (Sun E2900)
Array:  (StorageTek 3510s + JBODs).

(Partial Output from 'switchshow')
  7   7   id    N4   Online           F-Port  10:00:00:00:c9:57:cd:8f
  8   8   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
  9   9   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
10  10   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
11  11   id    N2   Online           L-Port  2 public
12  12   --    N4   No_Module        (No POD License) Disabled

These arrays were previously directly attached to the server, but have since had their data evacuated and refibred up to the switch. I wanted to do WWN-based zoning methodology, but port-based zoning seems the only option as I cannot see the WWNs attached to the port (above).

It's imaging it a big subject, and I'd like to do some reading round it, but I have not found relevent strategies on google about this. Does anyone have any links or 'search expressions' which have yeilded more favourable hits?

Additionally, how would I be able to identify all the WWNs on the loop on ports8-11?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Request for Documentation: How to migrate FC-AL arrays to a switch zone.

To get the ports to log in to the switch, you need to change the port setting on the array from FC-AL to Point-to-Point and enable Fabric connection.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Request for Documentation: How to migrate FC-AL arrays to a switch zone.

Rats,

So, there's no way to allow a switch to use poin-to-point and FC-AL in a mixed mode fashion? I already have data on the 3510s that I wanted to preserve.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.