Fibre Channel (SAN)

Replacing old brocade switch with new switch

Hi All,

We have two old brocade switches (4/16) and now we are replacing it with 8g switches. I had raised a query with the support for exporting the config from the old switch and importing it on the new ones. But unfortunatly that would not be supported as export and import config works on same family of switches and on top of that old switches have old version of firmaware/OS.

Now the question is , how should i move forward to have the same zone config on the new switches. I am planning to do the following;

* Copy the alias names from the old switches and create the alias on new one ones

*  Copy the WWPN's from the old switch and apply them on the respective alias ( No connection has been switched to the new switches yet)

* Copy the zone names and apply them on new switches

* Copy the members of the zones and have the apply on the new ones

* At last create a config on new switch and apply all zone configs

* Now move all the FC cables from old switch to new switch

I hope the above process is correct. Let me know if its going to work.

Thanks in advance.

Raj

Regular Contributor

Re: Replacing old brocade switch with new switch

If its rip and replace you can set the same did for the new switch as the old switch.

You can dump the switchconfig with configupload to a ftp server.

Basically you do configupload for both your old and new switch.

Take ONLY the zoning info from the old switch config and paste that into the new switches config.

configdownload the altered onfig in your new switch and zoning info has been migrated.

You can both configupload though the GUI (webtools or BNA) or CLI.

If you are to migrate one at a time, you can for the quickest solution ISL the two switches.

If all conditions are met the Fabric will form and the zoning db will be copied to the new switch

Re: Replacing old brocade switch with new switch

Were you successful using this process?  I am planning on doing this very thing soon and am curious to know if it worked. 

Did you move the ISL after all your host connections were migrated for each switch?  Or did you put the new switches in the existing fabric first then migrate connections?  If you did the latter, how did you deal with one of the  new switches being in a subordinate role to be converted to principal once migration was complete?

I am assuming here that you have a dual fabric config with multipathed hosts and could handle the fabric disruption during the migration.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.