Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Remove old core switches from a Fabric

Hello,

I have a customer which used to have only MCData directors in his big SAN. To migrate to new switches a couple of Brocade 48000 directors were added as edge switches and all host and storage were moved to the new switches.

Now we have a situation where mcdata directors are only connected as core switches holding together 2 Brocade ED48000's and we want to remove those legacy MCDatas. As you can imagine MCdatas are still principal in this fabric and we need to add ISL between brocade switches. Is it correct if we add the necessary ISLs between Borcades and then start to remove MCData switches? Do we need to change the principal switch selection policy to avoid having more than one fabric distruption due to fabric rebuild process? If so how can i make sure that once i remove the principal only a Brocade can become the new principal? Is setting MCData switches to never principal enough to avoid another legacy switch getting elected as principal?

Thanks in advance

Guido

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.