Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Removal of switches from Fabric

Is there anything special I need to do to remove a switch from a fabric? I'm removing two 3800's and one 12k from my SAN. I'll also be removing some 6400's as well. Just want to get all my ducks in a row before making changes. The only thing left on these switches is ISL's. The 12k and 3800's were my core and secondary core switches. I've already cabled in new core and secondary core (24k) switches. Comments, Concerns?

Regular Contributor

Re: Removal of switches from Fabric

A fabric rebuild will take place, but since nothing is being routed through those ISL's you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Removal of switches from Fabric

Thanks for the reply. I still have a couple questions though. Since i'm removing three switches from the fabric, how will the rebuild proceed? Will it start as soon as I shutdown the first switch, or do I have to initiate the rebuild? Also, how will the shutdown affect customers on other switches currently shooting traffice down the ISL's of the switch i'm removing? (Yes, I have ISL's in place going to my new core and secondary core) I assume, the traffic will retry down the other path...is that correct?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.