Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Remote Volume Mirroring - brocade 300 -> cisco MDS 9222i

I have connected brocade 300 to cisco MDS 9222i via 4 Gig FC interface. By connection diagram is as follows brocade 300 -> cisco MDS 9222i -> cisco MDS 9222i -> brocade 300. Two cisco MDS is connected to each other through 1 Gig Ethernet, FCIP tunnel is also being created using this 1 Gig Ethernet interface. Storage box is connected to the brocade switches at both ends. I want to test the remote volume mirroring between both storage boxes, for this I need to see both brocade switches under single fabric so as to zone their interface under single zone. Anybody can help me in this with cisco end & brocade end configuration?

External Moderator

Re: Remote Volume Mirroring - brocade 300 -> cisco MDS 9222i

--->>>... for this I need to see both brocade switches under single fabric so as to zone their interface under single zone.

from my point of view, usually have Storage 2* Controller each 2 Port.

I would connect from Array TWO Port to 9222i and other TWO Port to Brocade 300.

Is my opinion and my best experience. 

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

Here is Cisco's "Configuring FCIP" for MDS9000-guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/configuration/guides/cli_4_1/cfcip.html

I however doubt you'll get much help configuring a Cisco device here on Brocade's forum.

Just quickly looking through it, it looksl ike you need to have E_Ports on the Brocade switches and VE_Ports on the Cisco-side (so same idea as with a Brocade FCIP solution). Then you need to configure profiles/links(tunnels/circuits perhaps?) between the MDS-switches.

Is there currently a long distance between the switches?

One way to make sure the Brocade configuration is OK is to try to ISL them without the MDS inbetween.

You can look in 'switchshow' on the Brocade switch to see if the ports to the MDS are OK.

If the switches are 'connected' over a working FCIP but don't merge into one fabric you'll get an error on the ports in both switches' switchshow.

External Moderator

Johan,

--->>>Is there currently a long distance between the switches?

distance playes no role, since Extension over IP Application License is enable by Default on all 4x Gbe

Port on 9222i.

however,

--->>>One way to make sure the Brocade configuration is OK is to try to ISL them without the MDS inbetween.

If, Site A: Array<->Brocade <->Cisco MDS 9222i<-> FCIP --->> to Site B

Extended Fabric License is required on Brocade.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

Why would you need an extended fabric license in your example? It just enables LS and LD mode to give you some more buffers. If the connection to the Cisco is local, I see no point in doing that.

Brocade itself doesn't support connection between Brocade switches and Cisco switches (other than NPIV). But Cisco supports it as long as you meet these levels:

Cisco Data Center Interoperability Support Matrix - Device Interoperability  - Cisco Systems

Here is the documentation:

Cisco MDS 9000 Family Switch-to-Switch Interoperability Configuration Guide - Cisco Systems

External Moderator

Sebastian,

--->>>Why would you need an extended fabric license in your example?

my answer was perhaps somewhat incomplete.

a-part the Interopmode problematic ( as know ) betwen Cisco and Brocade, i want to make a example in my preview post, if Brocade would be Connected to Cisco, Extended Fabric License would be required.

however, the best methode is as mentioned to connect the FC Array Port direct to 9222i FC.

I have TWO Enterprise Customer, both have a entire Fabric based on Brocade Switches, both used 9222i for DR,

Typically EMC marketing Strategy, ....Buy a Storage get MPR for Free.

we have tried ( with Cisco Support ) to connect 9222i to Brocade Fabric but without any success.

Now, one of both customer decided to dismiss Cisco 9222i and replace with Brocade 7800 to avoid such IM Problems.

This is my experience. 

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

While I also think that it's better to avoid the whole concept of connecting cisco switches to brocade switches, I still don't understand why an extended fabric license should be necessary. Where did you get that from?

External Moderator

--->>> Where did you get that from?

This is the current config by Customer i have mention in my preview post.

License was recommended from EMC ???? - that say the preview Admin - I've my doubt.

back to principal question, the only ONE methode is to connect the Array to 9222i FC Port, without Brocade Switch.

Another functionally config, nor NPIV is unknown to me.

TechHelp24

Hi Abhliash,

please share the documentation on how to accomplished this finally. im in the same situation now.

reply to me on ravichandraar@gmail.com.. your help is much appreciated

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.