Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

REMOVE SWITCH FROM FABRIC

Hi 

I have a customer who would like to remove a dark fiber link between sites.They currently have 4 FC switches and have 2 FC links with 2 x Fabrics A + B so effectiveely loosing cross site redundancy on Fabric B what is the best way to reconfigure the 2 FC switches that where in Zone B on either site to allow for local SAN redundancy ?

Any gotchas to be aware of ?

Brocade Moderator

Re: REMOVE SWITCH FROM FABRIC

Hello,

Can you provide a drawing of actual configuration? And show which link Customer would like to remove?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Not sure how to upload anything to this page.can you send me a email to john.gagel1@gmail.com and I can send you a diagram.

Brocade Moderator

Attached is the drawing you provided.

What kind of switch are you using?

Does any ports are available in Fabric B switches?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

Hello,

If you would like to continue to use all previous switches, different options exits. More or less disruptive to implement.

Depends if free ports on existing configuration, if switches are VF capable.

Will be good to increase bandwidth of ISL link connected to dark fiber if possible.

Better to do as much as possible local switching.

See pdf attached.

Brocade Moderator

If you decide to remove 2 swicthes, there is not much to do.

For optimization, make sure the replication ports are using repartited Virtual Channels (VC). Destination PID select the VC used.

Occasional Contributor

They have 4X IBM Storage SAN24B-4 Express

Brocade Moderator

Those types of switches do not support Virtual Fabrics.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.