Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Question on setting up SAN connectivity across two data centers

We are finally configuring our long distance SAN links between two data centers about 15km apart. I'll call them DC-A and DC-B

To keep the fabrics from merging but allowing devices to be zoned across fabrics I believe I should do the following:

• Set the Fabric ID and enable FCR on the DC-A DCX-8510 (Fabric ID is already default of 128, so I just enable FCR)
  • Assign two 10Gb ports on the DC-A switch as EX ports connecting to Fabric ID 127
  • Set the Fabric ID and enable FCR on the DC-B DCX-8510 (Fabric ID will be 127)
  • Assign two 10Gb ports on the DC-B  switch as EX ports connecting to Fabric ID 128
  • Connect the 10Gb links through our Ciena DWDM connections.
  • Define LSAN_  zones with the port WWN’s I want to connect

In this configuration DC-A would be backbone fabric  128  with an edge connection to DC-B fabric 127

DC-B would be backbone fabric  127  with an edge connection to DC-A fabric 128.

Is this correct? Can I have a backbone at each site communicating with each other over EX ports or does an EX port on one backbone only connect to an E port on an edge switch?

Contributor

Re: Question on setting up SAN connectivity across two data centers

An EX port talks to an E port.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. So would one side have EX ports and the other just E ports? So one switch would always be the core and the other (with the E ports) the edge?

Valued Contributor

I think the manual is very clear on that. Backbone fabric can only have E-Ports and EX-Ports. E-Ports is where backbone switches talk to each other, that is - if you have more than one switch in backbone fabric. EX-Ports talk to the E-Ports of edge fabrics. Please note that backbone fabric can't have any other ports like F-Ports etc... So I think your current design is not correct. Or maybe I just didn't get what you described.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.