Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Quad's, zoning and physical connections

Hi everyone,

Several questions about an HP StorageWorks 8/80 (a Brocade 5300 if i'm correct) in relation to the SAN design guide from HP.

In het HP SAN design guide the following is stated:

1. Avoid configuring hosts and targets on the same quad
  2. Configure each quad with members of the same zone. Avoid configuring members of different zones on the same quad

My questions:

• What is a quad in the HP/Brocade world with the 5300 a.k.a HP 8/80, because there seems to be no information on both HP and Brocade's website? In the 1 and 2 Gbit age (if I'm correct) it were the four-port sets (0-3, 4-7, 8-11, etc) because they were on the same ASIC.
    Are the sets of four ports still true for the 5300, as you can create 8-port trunks, which would give me the impression that a 'quad' is now 8 ports.
  • Best practice 1 above implies that I should not physically configure hosts and storage arrays/tape drives on the same quad.
    Is it okay to configure multiple storage arrays and tapedrives on the same quad? Or should I choose a different quad for these tapedrives/libraries and/or different quads for multiple storage arrays?
  • If I use HBA zoning (one target<->one host), does Best practice #2 above still hold?
    Or should I differentiate between hosts who have only storage access and hosts who only have tape-library access, and put those on different quads?

• Or does nothing of the above matter, because SAN switch speeds are so high now??

Thanks,

Martien

External Moderator

Re: Quad's, zoning and physical connections

Dag Martien,

--->>> In het HP SAN design guide the following is stated:

1. Avoid configuring hosts and targets on the same quad
  2. Configure each quad with members of the same zone. Avoid configuring members of different zones on the same quad

Can you Please upload this Guide here ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Attached is the latest guide (also downloadable from the HP site).

The information can be found on page 125.

Martien

External Moderator

--->>>Avoid configuring members of different zones on the same quad

that mean as follow example.

Member from ZONE1 in Port 0-3

Member from ZONE2 in Port 4-7

and so on.

Avoid, does not mean you cannot use member from ZONE2 in the ZONE1, this is just a reccomendation from Brocade.

However, i am a little confused with "targets on the same quad"

there is not a reason that we do not config Host and target in the same quad.

that's absurd what is in this guide descripted

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

So the only thing to avoid configuring members of different zones on the same quad? May I ask what the reason behind that is?

The rest of the thing do not matter with these switches if I understand you correctly...?

Martien

External Moderator

Martien,

as i say in my preview post, i dont see any reason that behind to config member of different Zone in the same quad.

--->>> The rest of the thing do not matter with these switches if I understand you correctly...?

correct.

Again, for me is this HP Guide useless.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.