Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Hi guys,

Do you know how could I hurry up the propagation of a new IP address (modified from an old one) of a switch through the fabric it is part of?

Thanks,

Mugur

Super Contributor

Re: Propagate IP switch address through the fabric

Hello Mugur.  I dont entirely have a clear picture of what you are attempting to do here.  I'm assuming you are using something like a RADIUS server and are trying to assign a new IP address.  Is this correct?  Also, how long is this action actually taking?

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Occasional Contributor

I have just modified some IPs (manually) on some switches in my fabric and I want to propagate this information through all other switches in the fabric.

Regular Contributor

Is this perhaps the Ethernet address that you see in "fabricshow" ?

Occasional Contributor

Yes, Guldmyr, it's the Ethernet address shown by the fabricshow.

I am also using DCFM to manage the fabric and it doesn't see the new IP addresses anymore.

Regular Contributor

OK, with that cleared up perhaps somebody else knows the answer.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

the new mgmt IP address should be automatically propagated to the rest of the switchs in the fabric once changed. Once said this, I have to confess that I have seen this not happening and I reckon that is probably caused by the FOS code. What is the FOS running in the switchs inthe fabric?

rgds

Occasional Contributor

All the switches for that I modified the IP address have the 6.4.1a FOS. Other switches in the fabric have the same or other versions of the FOS.

External Moderator

Hi Mugur,

I'm not sure,.... is long time ago, but as fair as i remember another user ask for same problem here in the community, and as fair as i remember there is not workaround to do that, because AFAIK DCFM save the fabric config in the own db and since DCFM handle IP in the Inventory table for discovery or discovered component, this cannot be reassigned until the switch is removed from config.

The problem is, when you remover the switch, get a risk to lost the config in DCFM.

At this point, - is my opinion -, you should open a Call with Brocade Support.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Maybe I could try to discover these particular switches by hand in DCFM or try to remove the entire fabric from DCFM and add it again.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.