Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Procedure to replace a failed 4120 switch

We have a spare 4120 switch that we keep at the same FOS version in the event one of the production switches fails. Does anyone have a procedure to replace a switch if it fails?

I was thinking that I'd merge the spare switch on the fabric then disable it and set the domain ID to the ID of the failed switch and then re-enable it and move the host and storage connections to it.

I'd like some feedback from people that have done such a procedure or better yet and How-to paper from Brocade.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

External Moderator

Re: Procedure to replace a failed 4120 switch

Dave,

--->>> Does anyone have a procedure to replace a switch if it fails?

--->>>....have done such a procedure or better yet and How-to paper....

I don't know any how-to Document to replace a failed switch.

have you imported the config from one to another switch ? Is the config Zoning as Port WWN Zone ?

Each switch have unique WWN and each switch have unique License key.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Well, The spare switch hasn't been merged into the fabric and has a default config on it except for IP address and login info.

Here's another question:

Say I have the switch with domain id 1 fail.

I take my spare switch, not connected to the fabric yet.

Power it up and disable it.

Connect it to the fabric and enable it to merge it into the fabric.

Will it take the domain id of 1 and download it's config from the fabric?

If so, then it "should" assume the identity of the failed switch as the replacement switch should take the first available domain id when it merges into the fabric which is the id of the failed switch.

I'm trying to get clarification from Brocade on this, without much luck. I may call.

External Moderator

please post here "switchshow" Output both Switches, "cfgshow" from the Productive switch.

which Fabric OS release is loaded in both switches ?

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.