Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Problems with older HP-branded Silkworm switch

Hello to anyone who can help...

I have an HP StorageWorks MSA 1000 SAN with two embedded Silkworm (3000 I think) switches.  I think one of them has a faulty transceiver on port 0 (the internal port used to communicate with the storage controller).  I have taken the troubleshooting about as far as I can and I was hoping someone could give me some troubleshooting tips to determine if this is indeed the case.

Any takers?

Regular Contributor

Re: Problems with older HP-branded Silkworm switch

Hello,

are you sure it's using a transceiver?

In switchshow it should say 'id' if it uses an SFP.

If it says 'cu' then it's copper - making the midplane or whatever handles the interconnect inside the MSA1000 the possible  issue.

You could try to swap the switches. See if the problem follows the switches or the slot.

When you swap the switches odds are your servers won't have connectivity (depends on if and what kind of zoning you got set up).

Valued Contributor

An MSA1000 is an old entry level Storage array. It not particular powerful or feature rich as its based on the Smart Array 6i. It for instance only has one hostport per controller.

Swapping the embedded switches would mean servers are without connectivity for some period of time.

You can get a replacement 2/8 switch on the web for around $600.

Alternatively you could buy yourself a 200e (4/16 in HP terms) for the same kind of money, but you'll need an IO module (part# 218960-B21 or according the quickspecs (step 3) 2, as you shouldn't mix modules)

Should it be the controller that would be around $500.

But looking at the age (figuring 5/6 years) of the equipment, you can expect more failures in the future.

With spare parts not widely available I suggest you move the a hardware refresh.

A set of 6505's (2Gb of higher) or 300's (1Gb or higher) and a HP P2000g3 would do nicely if you want to keep the current vendors.

External Moderator

Jonathan,

--->>> I think one of them has a faulty transceiver on port 0 (the internal port used to communicate with the storage controller).

That is correct. In fact, MSA 1000 Embedded Switch ( Brocade Native 3000 ) have in Totale 8 Port, 7 External Port and 1 Internale Port.

The One Internal Port 0 interface the Embedded Switch with the MSA 1000 Array it self, remain External Port are intended to Join in a Fabric or HBA Connectivity.

As workaround i would procede as mentioned by Johan Guldmyr, swap the switch.

"errshow" command should give some info if any Hardware Defect is present.

Finally , since I/O connectivity is interrupted, i would try to reset Internal Port 0, and maybe re-configure, is probably the port is hang

TechHelp24
External Moderator

Dion,

--->>> Swapping the embedded switches would mean servers are without connectivity for some period of time.

in such case, if the Internal Port is Faulty as mentioned by Jonathan, change nothing if the Switch will be swapped and reinserted.

what kind of connectivity will interrupted since Port 0 is faulty ?

--->>>Alternatively you could buy yourself a 200e ....

without embedded switch, neither 200e or another external switch can be connected to MSA 1000, because as mentioned before MSA 1000 communicate only trough the Internal Backplane via Embedded switch "Port 0"

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

what kind of connectivity will interrupted since Port 0 is faulty ?

In reponding to Johan's remark of swapping the embedded switches in order to determine if the problem follows the switch or slot. You could read this two ways

1) swap with a replacement part (as you did I presume)

2) swap the current switches from slot.

As its mentioned to isolate the problem and quoted "You could try to swap the switches. See if the problem follows the switches or the slot."

It looks more like the second way, for which I opted.

Based on the assumption that one embedded switch is still operative, a swap would mean at any one time two switches are removed from their sot, thus no connection.

without embedded switch, neither 200e or another external switch can be connected to MSA 1000, because as mentioned before MSA 1000 communicate only trough the Internal Backplane via Embedded switch "Port 0"

True that's why I mentioned the need of the IO module part# included its on the same line, I think you missed that part

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.