Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Problem connection two brocade 5100 through DWDM

Hi,

currently we have a mixed environment with McData 4700 and Brocade 5100 Switches.

We want to remove the old McData switches and getting a problem connecting two brocade 5100 through our DWDM connection.

We are using Microsense for the connection between our datacenters and the connection has a speed of 2 Gbit.

On one side, we just moved the cable from the McData to the Brocade switch and it worked perfectly.

Now we are going to do the same in our other datacenter, but the connection is not working.

For a few seconds, the switch ports on both sides becomes E-Port (which is correct), but then it gets status "no_sync"

and after another few seconds the port on one side is disabled because of too many link failures (automatically disabled by the switch).

We tried to set the port speed to Auto and also to 2gbit without success.

we changed the cable already and tried also another port to be sure that the SFP module is working correctly.

I am not sure if I have to make some special configurations on these ports on the brocade switches.

On the McData Switches we didn´t make any port settings and it worked from the scratch.

Does anyone have an idea what to do ?

I already asked microsense for help but didn´t receive an answer yet.

These are the actual settings of the brocade port which is connected to the microsense

Area Number:              13
Speed Level:              2G
Fill Word:                0(Idle-Idle)
AL_PA Offset 13:          OFF
Trunk Port                ON
Long Distance             OFF        ->> has this feature be turned on? distance between our datacenters is appr. 12 km
VC Link Init              OFF
Locked L_Port             OFF
Locked G_Port             ON
Disabled E_Port           OFF
ISL R_RDY Mode            OFF     ->> read some about this but I´m not sure if this has also be enabled..
RSCN Suppressed           OFF
Persistent Disable        OFF
NPIV capability           ON
QOS E_Port                NA
Port Auto Disable:        OFF
Rate Limit                OFF
EX Port                   OFF
Mirror Port               OFF
Credit Recovery           ON
F_Port Buffers            12
Regular Contributor

Re: Problem connection two brocade 5100 through DWDM

Hi Ted,

In your case it's likely that you have to turn on R_RDY and Long Distance mode.

That said when it comes to DWDM it really depends on device and modules you use. A classic WDM is completely transparent, but most of modern implementations also utilize time division multiplexing in some form which means active protocol handling.

We've learned the hard way that even GFP-T is not completely transparent.

Brocade's SAN Distance Extension Reference is a good point to start from, but be warned that it's a journey through the dark as every other DWDM solution is slightly different.

http://community.brocade.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9021-1875/SC_Distance_Reference_GA-SG-061-00.pdf

Hope this helps,

Linar

Super Contributor

--->>> currently we have a mixed environment with McData 4700 and Brocade 5100 Switches.

OK!

--->>> On one side, we just moved the cable from the McData to the Brocade switch and it worked perfectly.

Question 1 about this current Design:

Side A = Brocade

Side B = ??? - Brocade or McDATA

we suppose If Side B = McDATA, is Side A = Brocade in Interop-Mode ?

Question 2

When your try to connect Side B= Brocade to Side A. is Side B in Interop-Mode or Native Mode ?

New Contributor

Thnks for the info.

I will check this next week with my colleague and keep you posted!

New Contributor

Hi,

Question 1: Side B is a mixed environment with Brocade and McData, but actually the McData is connected with the Microsense (DWDM)

Question 2: Our Fabrics (we have 2) are mixed McData and Brocade, so the interop mode is "McData Open Fabric" .

we are going to switch this to Brocade Native after we have successfully removed the McData Switches.

Actually, McData switches are also principal switches .

I hope this answers your questions.

New Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your help!

It works now !

we configured long distance mode (LE <10) and R_RDY ..

we configured G_Port, too, because I read in the pdf:

"Some devices may also require ports to be configured to G_Port mode so that loop initialization is not attempted" ,

everything fine now.. Topic can be closed..

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.