Fibre Channel (SAN)

7sq
New Contributor

Password recovery on Brocade 2800 SAN switch

Hi guys,

I know that this age old question has done the rounds umpteen times - but I'm after a bit of advice on the subject!

A bit of background first. At the office, we're exploring the idea of a SAN for a VM environment. Now, before committing to anything, we've sourced an old 2800 switch from eBay first as a proof of concept and second to learn a bit more about Brocade gear.

The problem. You guessed it, second hand equipment - the username/passwords are unavailable! Doing a bit of Googling, I've found that the recommended route is to contact Brocade using a support contract and request a password reset firmware specific to the WWN of the switch. No can do - we're not a 'real' Brocade customer yet!

Next option was to use a password recovery tool - which only seems to be any good if we've got another switch which we know the password for. No luck here either.

The other option I found on these forums was to attach a serial cable to the onboard 10-pin header underneath the left hand PSU. The comment was that a firmware version prior to v2.6.0 offered the ability to reset the password here. Brill! So, I've attached the cable - and successfully get a console. Unfortunately, it's running v2.6.2 and don't have any ability to reset the passwords. However, stopping the boot process I've got to the CLI and have the option of either booting from the LAN or onboard flash.

Now! The question is - has anyone got (or know where to get) a copy of a firmware version prior to v2.6.0? (A fresh take on this issue! Or am I barking up the wrong tree?)

Thanks for any help in advance!!

Super Contributor

Re: Password recovery on Brocade 2800 SAN switch

see here

7sq
New Contributor

Hi Abba_Systems. Thanks for the reply! But I've seen that thread and investigated the reset tool I'm afraid:

>> Next option was to use a password recovery tool - which only seems to be any good if we've got another switch which we know the password for. No luck here either.

Super Contributor

Another Password Recovery Procedure for VXworks Based Switches like the 2xxx and 3200/3800 Series is not available.

This Switches are EOL and EOS by Brocade, apart of that not make sense to open a Call and Pay high charge for Support for such Old Switches.

Workaround:

Destroy the Switch and purchase a NEW one.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

7sq
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I am well aware that raising a support call would not be productive. As in my initial comment, before committing to a new high value SAN switch, this is just a proof of concept mission that what we have planned will work.

I am also aware that this unit is now EOL and EOS. As in my initial comment this is a request to see if anyone has an old (pre 2.6.0) firmware that (out of the kindness of their heart) they might upload for me to try as a last-ditch attempt.

Super Contributor

--->>>...this is just a proof of concept mission that what we have planned will work.

Is the same when Michael Schumacher go to F1 Racing with a Fat 500 instead Formula 1 Car.

--->>>....this is a request to see if anyone has an old (pre 2.6.0) firmware that (out of the kindness of their heart) they might upload for me to try as a last-ditch attempt.

Your cannot Upgrade the FOS without access into the switch.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

7sq
New Contributor

>> Is the same when Michael Schumacher go to F1 Racing with a Fat 500 instead Formula 1 Car.

Great analogy! Does this now mean that learners jump straight into an F1 racing car? I think not..

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.