Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

New Brocade 5300 switches (EMC badged)

Hi All

Looks like I'm not able to set role of the new Brocade Switches to subordinate from principal. Maybe silly but I have been searching everywhere to set their roles as subordinate and it looks like the "fabricprincipal -f 1" shows their current role but when trying to change with the command "fabricprincipal 0" and then re-enable them, it still shows me as they are "principal" switches rather than "sunordinate" switches.

Any help on thsi will be greatly appreciated.

regards

Dib

Super Contributor

Re: New Brocade 5300 switches (EMC badged)

There is no guarantee that fabricprincipal will make the switch a principal switch. A lot depends on the config of other switches in the fabric as well.

Please attach supportshow and also pase the output of the fabricshow for further analysis. Also highlight in fabricshow which switch is the desired principal switch.

Also type fabricprincipal -q and paste the o/p

Occasional Contributor

Inside the fabric, the principal switch in Brocade 4900 (firmware v6.1.0c) connected to old McData Switches which are subordinate switches with supported level of firmware and the fabric is in Mcdata fabric mode (Interopmode - 2). Now when another EMC badged Brocade 5300 series switch is connected to the Brocade 4900 via ISL port, event viewer on the new 5300 shows the following error/warnings:

Time Level Message Service Number Count Message ID Switch
Sat Oct 31 2009 13:15:37 GMT+00:00 Warning port 48, EFP rejected: EPORT ISOLATED. Switch 324 1 FABR-1001
Sat Oct 31 2009 13:15:32 GMT+00:00 Warning port 11, BF rejected: Eport Isolated. Switch 323 1 FABR-1001 UKSOSSW10
Sat Oct 31 2009 13:13:38 GMT+00:00 Warning PSS principal failed (Joined fabric: 10:00:00:05:1e:03:2a:29). Switch 322 1 FABR-1018

The ports which are used as ISL port to connect to the 4900 switch, are showing E port Isolated, Eport Segmented.

The fabricprincipal mode is enabled on this new 5300 switch and it has got higher Domain ID that the brocade 4900 Switch which is the principal switch in this fabric. Could anyone please let me know whats wrong here and help resolve this issue?

Thanks

Dib

External Moderator

Do you want to set the Brocade or the McDATA as Principal ? or Viceversa as Subordinate ?

Note, in Default Mode the lower Switch WWN obtain the Principal mode, if you want to set this switch as Subordinate you must forced by command as Subordinate.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi All

I repeat the problem here once again.

Existing fabric consists of Old Mcdata (firmware ver-09.08.012) as subordinate Switches and Brocade 4900 as principal Switch (firmware ver-6.1.0c).

I'm trying to install a new EMC badged 5300B SAN Switch and connect it into the same fabric keeping this one as Subordinate adn NOT principal Switch.

Before connecting the new Switch into the fabric, I haev kept teh Domain ID of this new 5300 Switch as higher than the current Brocade 4900 Principal Switch. When I connect the ISL cable, following errors are shown in the event log on the brocade 4900 Switch

WarningSmiley Tongueort 43- Mode incompatible (please note that port no 43 is the port on principal 4900 Switch where teh ISL cable is connected from the new 5300 Switch)

On the new Brocade 5300 switch, teh event viewer shows teh following error when we are connecting this Switch to 4900

Warning: Port 11 (this is port on 5300) - Mode incompatible

Warning: Port 43(thsi is port no on 4900) - EFP rejected, EPORT ISOLATED

Warning: PSS principal Failed (Joined fabric: WWN of the Switch port)

Fabricprincipal mode is disabled on this new 5300 Switch, but it is showing Principal switch and not able to join the exisitng fabric but showing healthy in isolated fabric where this is the only switch.

Please help us resolve thsi issue if anyone knows the resolution steps.

External Moderator

"Mode incompatible"

that say to me, the Interop-Mode is not correct set in the 5300.

You must set the IM correct, please see whit switchshow which mode is current set.

In you scenario, when you want to ISL 5300 whit 4900 you must set the I-Mode as 2, see the Command Reference manuals for details about McDATA Mode.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi All

After some more search, this is what I have done to resovle this issue

Brocade5300:admin> interopmode
InteropMode: McDATA Fabric
    Default Zone: Off (I saw this is ON on the other Brocade Switches)
    Safe Zone: Off

usage: InteropMode ]
       0: to turn interopMode off
       2: to turn McDATA Fabric mode on
           Valid McDataDefaultZone: 0 (disabled), 1 (enabled)
           Valid McDataSafeZone: 0 (disabled), 1 (enabled)
       3: to turn McDATA Open Fabric mode on
Brocade5300:admin> interopmode 2 -z 1
InteropMode: McDATA Fabric
    Default Zone: On
    Safe Zone: Off

This has resolved the issue and now the new Brocade 5300 Switches are correctly joined into the Existinig Fabric as subordinate Switches.

Thanks everyone for looking into this. It was such a small thing but created major dreama.

Cheers

Dib

External Moderator

Hi Dibyendu Dey

this is exact what i have post im my preview answer.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.

If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.
Thanks!

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for your help, it was helpful.

I would like to let everyone in this community that even though interopmode was set to McData mode which is 2 in this case, teh new Brocade 5300 did not communicate with teh existing principal Switch Switch 4900. It was that "McDataDefaultZone" which was not set as "ON" earlier which configuring the Brocade 5300 Switch offline and thus this whole issue.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.