Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

New Brocade 300 8 GB Switch and 1 GB FC HBA Connections

Hello All here is my issue.....

I have an older server with 1 GB HBA's and 2 new 8 GB Switches with 16 ports active all having 8 GB SFP's.  I cannot get my 1 GB HBA to be seen by the switch.  I have changed the cable tried different HBA's as well as 4, 2, and 1 GB SFP's and have changed the auto negotiated to 1 GB with no luck.  I have read the documentation for the 300 and it says it supports 1 GB speeds....but no will do.  Port now has a status of Mod_Inv and I am running the latest firmware recommended for this switch….can someone give me a heads up on what I need to do to configure this to work with a 1 GB connection.

The server is an older HP4000 and we run our Unix backups off this server so it is rather important to have the connectivity….so any help or feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Super Contributor

Re: New Brocade 300 8 GB Switch and 1 GB FC HBA Connections

8 GB SFP can be only set as 8, 4, and 2 G Speed, and not support 1 GB Device.

you must use 4 GB SFP in order to connect 1 GB Devices.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

Contributor

I have tried a 4, 2 and 1 GB SFP's from my other Brocade switches and still cannot connect.  The status of the port is showing Mod_Inv....could there be an issue with that port?

Super Contributor

--->>> I have tried a 4, 2 and 1 GB SFP's.....

Are all this SFP Brocade Label and Certified ?

Brocade NEW generation Platforms and FOS support only Labeled and Certified SFP.

BTW, excepted the 8GB SFP, only 4GB SFP are supported.

Old 2 and 1 GB SFP are not supported.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.