Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Need Procedure :Replace 4Gig Blades with 8 Gig Blade on 48K SAN Switches

Hi,

We have two 48K Core Switches with 4 Gig Blades and which are being connected with Brocade Edge Switches with trunk configuration. Can some has procedure to get these Replaced online without impacting the production systems.

Two Core Switches are of two Redundant Fabric. FabricA has one Core and its Edge and FabricB has one Core and its Core Swithces connected to the Blades we have plans to Replace.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

Govind

External Moderator

Re: Need Procedure :Replace 4Gig Blades with 8 Gig Blade on 48K SAN Switches

Blade replacement, is mandatory disruptive, I have no idea how you want to replace it, without a disruption of all connectivity this blade.

however, if you have WWN based zoning, instead port zoning, can move all attached device from the Blade in question to other blade, and the replace the blade.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your Response.

Yes we do have WWN zoning and not port zoning. Here is what I have thought of doing. We have other 8Gig Blades which we want to move the 4 Gig connection over to 8Gig Blades.

a). Move the current ISL/Trunk to the other Blades- DO we need to delete the existing Trunk and recreate them??

b)Make sure nothing is on the Blade.

c) Replace the 4Gig blade with 8 Gig Blade.

External Moderator

the procedure is ok.

just to clarify, we know 48000 support 8G Blade, and I have myself more 48K in my Lab with FC8-48 Port Blade installed, however you should keep in mind, you have 8G Speed only between the same Blade.

with other word, if the traffic switch trough the Backplane from One Blade to another, traffic remain as 4G and you get in some circumstance in over subscriptions,

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.