Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Multipaths of host from Storage

hello,

may be this is a dumb question can some one clarify for me .

we configured multipaths for hosts on storagearray/Fabric meaning

HostA:

HBA1 - Fabric-A  - FED Port 1A

HBA2 - Fabric-B  - FED Port 2A

so here storage array / Fabric perspective we have multipaths for hostA. I understand benefits on host if multipath

failover software is present like performance/protection/failover/best route stuff,  but let say if my Fabric-A down down

with no multipath software installed on HostA does it route the IO to live path ( Fabric-B ) or it doesn't have inteligance

to move the io to live path and cause system to hung ??

Valued Contributor

Re: Multipaths of host from Storage

Whether or not your host is intelligent enough depends on the OS and or the administrator.

Windows 2008 for instance has MPIO builtin by MS, but you have to enable the feature first and then add the array to the list of multipathed device or add a DSM.

HPUXv3 has MPIO builtin for HP array's, I'm unsure HP's solution would also work against, for instance, an EMC array.

If you're working with LVM and don't want a MPIO solution (like powerpath, multipathd) you might want to use pvlinks or "alternate links" instead.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=lvm+pvlinks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USSmiley Surprisedfficial&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=Gy8oUo2PDoXXtQbZhYGQCw#q=lvm+pv+alternate+links&rls=org.mozilla:en-USSmiley Surprisedfficial&spell=1

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.