Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Moving from 4Gb to 8Gb C7000 Interconnects

I am looking to upgraded my existing 4Gb C7000 interconnect infrastructure with new 8Gb C7000 interconnect modules.  I am wondering if others have been able to perform this process without taking a downtime or if it is best to shut down the infrastructure in the chassis before upgrading.  My initial stab at the process looks like this with the concerning step in bold:

• Backup switch configurations.
  • Install 8 Gb switches into unused interconnect bays and update firmware.
  • Perform firmware update on both existing Brocade interconnects.
  • Restore switch 1 configuration on to new 8 Gb switch running in unused bay.
  • Pull 1st 4 Gb switch from interconnect bay and install the (firmware updated and config loaded) 8 Gb switch into interconnect bay and reconnect FC cables.
  • Ensure connectivity of servers through new 8 Gb switch.
  • Restore switch 2 configuration on to new 8 Gb switch running in unused bay.
  • Pull 2nd 4Gb switch from interconnect bay and install the (firmware updated and config loaded) 8 Gb switch into interconnect bay and reconnect FC cables.
  • Ensure connectivity of servers through new 8 Gb switch.

I would appreciated feedback from folks especially if they have gone through this process before as I do not have any test equipment to try this out on.  My concern is that the interconnect/fabric will enter an incompatible state during the bolded step.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Moving from 4Gb to 8Gb C7000 Interconnects

I'm not entirely sure with "incompatible state", but in general you're description is accurate.

it is all in the details where things can go wrong.

To be honest I would follow the same approach except not loading the 4Gb config into the 8 Gb switch.

Í would config the minimum needed for the 8Gb switches to join the fabric (+ additional setting per HP and or storagevendor(s) guidelines).

Then ISL the new switches to the fabric in order for them to merge and copy the zoning database.

And then I would perform the swap.

This method would ensure the switches have succesfully merged with a fabric before, so you know it works.

It would also make sure any critical part of the 8Gb switches is not overwritten/lost by loading a save from the old switches.

However if you're environment depends on domain id's, you either need to change the domain id for your new switch during the swap phase or resolve the dependency.

Alternatively I would also think about running the new switches in AG mode.

New Contributor

Thanks for thoughts.  After much thinking about the situation, I think I will plan for a downtime.  I guess this is the downside of having switches (and these happen to be the only FC switches in the environment) inside a C7000 chassis.

Thanks again.

Occasional Contributor

Jhoss,

I have one other comment:

I have replaced the 4GB passthrus (not switches) with the 8GB FC switches and brought them into existing fabric.

Follow steps in Brocade FOS admin guide for your version.

You will need a new IP for each switch (use C7000 EBIPA to set address/gateway etc.)

One thing that got me was not remembering that new FOS, by default has a "defaultzone" setting. If you don't change it to allaccess, you won't merge and switch will segment.

This forum was responsible for hitting me in the head "DUH" and reminding me about that setting.

Regards,

Louis

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.