Fibre Channel (SAN)

dc1
Occasional Contributor

Moving Principle Switch, what happens to the zoning on other switches?

Hey guys/gals,

I am moving my principle switches to a new cage.  They currently trunk to 2 bladecenters with integrated brocade switches.

I moved a secondary SAN and Bladecenter and hooked them up in our new cage directly to each other, and then used 2 pairs of fibre between the two cages to talk to the other gear.

The question is, what happens when i take down the principle switches in the old cage to move them to the new cage?

Since the bladecenter and the other san are directly connected, will they still communicate as i planned?

dc1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Moving Principle Switch, what happens to the zoning on other switches?

does anyone have any kind of answer for this?

N/A

Kindly make sure that before you switch off your current principal the secondary is forcefully promoted as principal using command

## fabricprincipal -f

if the above command works as expected your logic should hold true.

External Moderator

--->>> Moving Principle Switch, what happens to the zoning on other switches?

Nothing.

Example: you have a Redundant Fabric, this Fabric Contain 2x 48000.

Both 48K are in the same Fabric but only One can become as Principal.

On This Fabric are connected some other Edge Swicthes, 4100, 5000, Blade Switches etc....

One Day the Principal Switch Explodes, Burns or whatever....

What happen ? The Subordinate 48000 Become as Principal, and the Fabric work without any Issue.

Whit other word, you can change at any time from Principal to Subordinate, this don't have any Impact to the Zone.

NOTE:

For details about the "fabricprincipal" command refer the Command Reference Manual

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.