Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Mixed Fabric with Brocade 300B and McData ES4400

Brocades have been set to interop mode 3, mcdata is set to mcdata open fabric. We are unable to add new zones switches are running versions below any ideas on how we fix the problem? Seems that FOS 7.x doesn't use interop mode setting anymore and possibly upgrading to that version would fix the issue.

300B FOS 6.4.3

Mcdata EOS 9.09.09

san summary to be uploaded shortly

Contributor

Re: Mixed Fabric with Brocade 300B and McData ES4400

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "we are unable to add new zones"?

What happens when you try?

Do you have sample output?

You're correct, if you upgrade to v7.x then you won't be able to interconnect these.

Regular Contributor

Hi mnixon,

the best way is to have two fabrics. One MCData and one FOS. Then configure one FOS-Switch as FC-Router and use LSAN-Zones between both Fabrics.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf
Occasional Contributor

Okay some clarification is in order. There are two redundant fabrics, they are independant of each other. One has two 300Bs and one ES4400, Due to customer needs the mcdata must stay in the fabric for now. it turns out that i can zone from the mcdata switch in that fabric. The other fabric consists of just two 300B spanning two sites via ISL. Both switches have been set to IM3 initially so that they could be ISL'ed to ES4400 in mcdata open fabric mode. I believe IM2 could have been used for these switches instead and would have avoided this issue. But presently with the mcdatas removed from the fabric we are left with two 300Bs running IM3 mode. They are read only and the options to edit any zone related items is greyed out in the GUI. CLI commands return the error stating that the switch is running in mcdata fabric mode(IM3) and zoning commands are not allowed.

Regular Contributor

Hi mnixon,

so if you have removed the mcdata now and you have only B-Series in your fabric change the interopmode to 0.

This is traffic affecting, but you have to change it unless you will not upgrade to FOS 7.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf
Occasional Contributor

I have two redundant fabrics, one consists of (2) 300Bs and (1) ES4400, this fabric i can zone from the ES4400. The second fabric has nonthing but (2) 300Bs running IM3. With your help and others I've realized changing the IM to 0 is an option, obviously destroying the zoning database which can be rebuilt pretty easy. I guess the only question at this point is can I upgrade to FOS 7 on both switches and not lose the present zoning?

Regular Contributor

Hi mnixon,

please follow the Release-Notes of FOS 7:

Upgrading a switch currently operating in interopmode 2 or 3 to FOS v7.0.1 is disruptive. The interopmode must be changed to 0 prior to upgrading to FOS v7.0.1, as interopmodes 2 and 3 are not supported on FOS v7.0.1. Changing the interopmode is an offline operation.

It is the same for FOS v7.0.0, because interopmode is not supported at all in FOS V7.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a ton, i appreciate your quick and accurate responses.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.