Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Migration of DC

Hell Team,

we have a DC where we have 48Ks as core SW and 3900s as edge SWs. we are going to install DCX in another DC which is 900 mtrs away. We will merge 48K DC with DCX and migrate the servers and storages.

What are the processes?

Can I merge DCX with 48Ks directly ? I doubt.

Can I install LWL SFPs in 48Ks and in DCXs and do a trunking through SMF? Do I need addl licenses? I do not think so because of distance <1 KM. What parameters I have to set like ISL R _Rdy etc.

Can I use 7500, which is now used for DR replication for LSAN zones?

What is default FOS of DCX? in 48K FOS is 6.2.0d, 3900s 5.2.0. If we merge DCX , will it create problem since it is a powerful SW than 48Ks.

an early reply will be appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: Migration of DC

Many questions in a single post ;-)

Here some answers:

--> Can I merge DCX with 48Ks directly ? Yes no Problem Link speed will be at 4Gbit Speed.

--> Can I install LWL SFPs in 48Ks and in DCXs and do a trunking through SMF? Yes you can add 4Gbit LWL into the switches. Be careful in the DCX you can only insert Brocade branded SFPs. Otherwise the ports will fail. Trunking is possible if Trunking license is installed on both directors. All ports have to be in one port group on each switch to create a trunk. Check with licenseshow command if trunking is installed.

At a distance of less then 1km you do not have to use special settings. Make sure that E-Port is allowed and QOS is disabled.

Make sure that you run on all boxes the same FOS code if possible or the latest suported level of your OEM or support partner.

I would recommend to update your FOS codes according to the recommendation of your OEM or support partner and according to the release notes of the FOS level.

--> What are the processes? I would recommend for this task to book Brocade FC SAN training or hire a SAN professional and learn from him directly. The other way is to read some Brocade documents to ensure that you know what to do. Doing thinks wrong can cause major issues on the SAN.

Good luck and best regards,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for the reply..

About trunking license , I think in director class it is by default is there.

My last question was unanswered...

What is DCX 's default FOS? Can we do the migration  through 7500? I think this will be little complicated.

Super Contributor

Hi san.administrator,

To be honest, you can't expect to get an answer on a complex task.  Your description of the infrastructure topic is too short. By the way it is dangerous to give recommendation without having all information together. ;-)

Good look and I cross the fingers that you choose the right decision for your topic.

Andreas

Super Contributor

See below, or Contact this User

I'm sure you get correct answer.

Public Profile by "san.administrator"

Last Logged In: Dec 20, 2010 10:37 PM
Phone Number: 30967291
Biography: SAN admin with 5 yrs of SAN experiences
Expertise: Brocade, HITACHI, Sun, IBM storages
Alternate Phone Number: 30967164
Job Title: SAN admin
Company 2: HDFC Bank

Public Profile by "hemant"

Last Logged In: Oct 23, 2010 12:29 PM
Phone Number: 0091-22-930967164
Biography: I am working as a SAN consultant/SAN Designer in a Private Company, consists of Brocade , HITACHI, Sun,IBM & EMC Enterprise and Modular storages SAN.
Expertise: Brocade, HITACHI, Sun, IBM , EMC Enterprise and Modular Storages
Alternate Phone Number: 0091-22-30967291
Job Title: Project and Team Lead
Company 2: Apara Enterprise Solutions Pvt Ltd

Occasional Contributor

It is true that  Hemant was there with us in our SAN Team. He had created this id for us. He has left now. So we are using this ID. If any issue you feel , we will stop participating .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.