Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Migrating off 5000's & 24k

Would it be easier to migrate zone info to new DCX switches from older 5000's using DCFM? Without DCFM what would be the next best way otherwise? I think it would be risky to just ISL the older 5000's and 24k switchs to the new DCX, would it be much less risky (but time consuming) to configsave and build zone info to apply to new DCX's?

Thoughts?

Valued Contributor

Re: Migrating off 5000's & 24k

Well it depends.

The easiest way, in my opinion, would be to ISL the switches.

If you use wwn zoning you can plug the cables in the new DCX and your done.

If, for some reason, you don't want to ISL, I found it easier to take a configdownload from your "old"  fabric, take out the zoning part and load that into your "new" fabric.

This will only work with wwn zoning and could work in port based zoning if DID's are kept the same.

Occasional Contributor

Divon is right

The best way to do this is using the configupload command, trim the zoning part of the output, and do a configdownload on the new switch with that output...

External Moderator

--->>> I think it would be risky to just ISL the older 5000's and 24k switchs to the new DCX,...

I've made 100 of migration with a ISL Connection, that is easy and work fine.

you need youst to migrate One Switch at a time, check the migrated config in DCX and then begin to unplug from Old switch and Plug to DCX.

config download and uplod is very complexed, each switch have different DID, License parameter etc.

with ISL migration methode you migrate just only the config, zone, alias and wwn.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

My last migration had a segmentation issue that eventually got fixed. directly after this I used "Configupload", stripped the zone info and loaded it into the fabrics sucesfully, all hosts loged in and had storage. I'm for the ISL method but still trying to figure out why it segmented on my previous project. I will ISL on this project and go one switch at a time.

In this very case I have a few 4020's per fabric only, we collapsed the 5k's, so they are out.

24k's have 2 4020's per fabric ISL'd (total 4 over two fabs). I figure if I configure DCX with correct DID's unlike any other, then simply ISL 24k < > DCX days before the actual migration. This will allow me time to review the configs before the cutover. Then the day of cutover, move the Blade switches (4020) from the 24k over to the new switch, then following this move the hosts over to the DCX.

Of course the blade hosts (4020 switches) will login to the name server again after the ISL is moved from the 24k to the new DCX.

You say "One switch at a time" When is it time to move to the next switch?

How can I utilize DCFM ProPlus to assist in this project?

I can't imagine this effecting any Virtual Connect modules because there will be no changes to the host WWN's coming from VCmods. I will simply move these OM3 cables from 24k to DCX.

Any comments or concerns with this plan?

Valued Contributor

You say "One switch at a time" When is it time to move to the next switch?

After checking all is well amd the fabric has stabelized.

How can I utilize DCFM ProPlus to assist in this project?

I've never done this, perhaps someone else can help you

I  can't imagine this effecting any Virtual Connect modules because there  will be no changes to the host WWN's coming from VCmods. I will simply  move these OM3 cables from 24k to DCX.

Perhaps not the VC, but it will perhaps effect hosts hanging off those VC's because DID or port are different.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.