Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Migrating from Silkworm 24000's to Brocade 5300's

We've just racked two new Brocade 5300's to replace our two end of support life Silkworm 24000's.  Our hope is that we can backup the configuration of the silkworms and upload those configs to populate the new 5300's.  Our worry is that doing so might leave us with two lovely new Brocade paperweights.

The new 5300's are running Fabric OS version 6.3.1a while our old Silkworms are still at 5.3.2a.  We're really only interested in bringing over the zoning configurations from the old switches so would be happy to remove any useless info from the saved configs of the old switches if someone could point us in the direction of some good documentation.

I've just installed DCFM which seems to have the ability for me to upload a saved config from our old hardware onto our new switches, I just don't want to jump in and irrevocably break something.  I have discovered both the silkworms and both of our new 5300's through the DCFM software.

Any advice / pointers gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mark

External Moderator

Re: Migrating from Silkworm 24000's to Brocade 5300's

The simple way is ISL 24000 to 5300 and Migrate the config.

Then you can delete unneeded / useless info from Config.

--->>> I've just installed DCFM which seems to have the ability for me to upload

you can use DCFM for Migration bot only the Licensed Prof. Plus and Enterprise, for Free edition support only ONE DID,

TechHelp24
New Contributor

@TechHelp24 - We discussed ISL trunking before purchasing these new switches but we chose not to purchase the ISL trunking license.  We were told in our dicussions that an alternative to the ISL trunking would be to backup the config on our old switches and import those configs onto the new switches. 

Do you know if Brocade ever allows temporary activation of ISL trunking in order to facilitate an easier switch migration path ? 

Thanks,

Mark

External Moderator

Mark,

any such migration is a simple of the World.

--->>>We discussed ISL trunking before purchasing these new switches...

ISL = Inter Switch Link

ISL + Trunking = consist ISL + a Group of TWO or More Port.

ISL is Intergrated ( Fabric License ) in 5300 and any extra License is not requiered.

In Order to Migrate the config, you need just to Set a Unique DID in 5300 different from 24000 check some fabric Parameter, ISL 24000 to 5300.

The config will be migrated between approx. 10 Seconds.

the begin to umplug One cable at time from 24000 and plug to NEW 5300

Now you are migrated from 24K to 5300 that all.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

here are some interesting Threads.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

with "some"  vendors they allow ISLwith basic function  w/o license, but to get the load balancing function you need a license.  

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.