Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Migrating from McData ES4400 to Brocade 300

I am tasked with migrating an existing SAN fabric with McData switches to new Brocade switches.

The customer has a total of 5 switches spanning 3 sites on the campus with existing ISLs connecting them. 4 of the 5 switches at 2 of the sites are to be replaced. One switch is going to stay in place at the third site. The switch that is remaining is between 2 of the new replacement switches having an ISL to each . The original switches are only 4GB capable while the new switches are 8 GB capable. 

The existing ISLs are only running at 2GB. We are sending MirrorView S mirrors down the line between the 3 sites for VMWare SRM and also to perform backups. Since the McData supports 4GBwe would like to turn up the speed on the ISL to 4GB. If we decide to turn up the speed, I was planning on simply doubling the bb credits. I know this isn't exact, but this should be close enough to support their current MirrorView S mirrors at the increased bandwidth. Do you have any additional insight on the buffer credits for this situation?

Currently the plan is to create an ISL between the new and old switches on each fabric and location to be replaced, so that the zoning information is transferred to the new switches. As an alternative solution I can backup and restore the zone database or simply just rebuild the zones from scratch manually. Since the new Brocade switches will be replacing the existing McData switches I plan on using the lowest Domain IDs available. 

The general steps on how I plan perform do the fabric Migration are as follows:

Verify High availability in Unisphere and ESX both:

- ISL the brocade switches to the existing mcdata switches one at a time. I would like to use Brocade IM-3(Open Fabric Mode on the Brocade Switches, and leave the Fabric mode on the McData switches set to Fabric Mode 1 which is also open Fabric Mode.) I have verified the switches compatibilitywith each other and code levels. If you think that a different interop mode would be optimum, or see any problems with the modes on either switch please let me know.

-Verify the zone database is present on the new Brocade switches

-Move the ports from the storage array and one host over to one brocade switch

-Enable the the zone database

-Verify that the host connectivity has been restored

-Move all other hosts

-Verify connectivity of the other hosts

-Disconnect ISL between the legacy McData Switches

-Establish ISL between Brocade switches on the one fabric and between the brocade switch and single remaining mcdata switch on the other fabric

-Verify that the mirrors start synchronizing again.

-Disconnect ISL between McData switches and Brocade switches.

-Verify we maintain connectivity.

Let me know if you think I missed or overlooked any details. I also attached the assessment of the current switches.

Thanks in advance for any help with the scenario above.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Migrating from McData ES4400 to Brocade 300

51 views.  Anyone in here update from a mcdata to a brocade 300 before?

External Moderator

there are diverse methode how to migrate from old EOS Based Switch to NEW Brocade FOS.

for details refer FABOS Administrator Guide.

Keep in mind, FOS 7.x and above not longer Support Interop-Mode.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

moved to the correct location...

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Super Contributor

gsavage, what firmware level are you on with the 300's?  As TechHelp24 pointed out, the 7.x code stream no longer supports the interopmode options.   There are 3 primary tools that can be used in this scenario.  I'm mentioning these to help you identify what options are available to simplify your task.  These do not cover all options, but are the main methods used to avoid taking an outage or limiting switches having to be taken off-line.

1. Router (such as a 7500 or 7800)
    1. Pros:  Easiest and cleanest method to bridge a b-series and m-series fabric.  You avoid having to take a switch out of IM2 or IM3 and back into IM0 (brocade) which isn't the easiest thing to do IMHO.
    2. Cons:  Not always available.  Not a cheap option.
  2. Interopmode (2 or 3)
    1. Pros:  Native interoperability.  Majority feature support on both sides.
    2. Cons:  Not easy to convert back to IM0.  Not supported on FOS 7.x and up. 
  3. Integrated Routing License
    1. Pros:  Same benefits as a router with the added benefit of no additional box.  Available as a temporary license.
    2. Cons:  Not supported on the 300

I believe #2 is the only option for you and even this is only an option if the 300 is (or can be) on the 6.x firmware level.

Hope that helps a little.

Please note, I've attached two docs that are specific to your scenario and will provide a good fundamental overview of the tasks involved.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Occasional Contributor

Thanks For your responses.  Since the customer was temporarily leaving one of the mcdata switches in place we opted to use Interop-Mode 3.  I used firmware revision 6.4.3 in order to support IM-3.  I have a few questions now though.  What would happen if we now updated the switches to 7.0.2 with the one mcdata switch still in the fabric?  Would I be able to then issue zoning commands on the brocade switches while maintaining ISL connectivity between the Brocades and McDatas?  

Additionally, I have been tasked with zoning 2 new hosts at the different sites.  The new hosts are now attached to the brocade switches.  I was able to zone via the McData switch the hosts on one of the fabrics.  The other fabric though no longer has a McData switch.  I am unable to issue zoning of cfg commands because of the interop mode.  Is there a way for me to issue Zoning and CFG commands or McData commands so that I can complete the zoning on the other fabric?

Thanks in advance.

Occasional Contributor

To enable zoning again, I used DCFM to save the config.  I then changed the Interopmode from 3 to 0/off.  I then restored the zoning using DCFM.  I am able to zone now.  This project is complete.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.