Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Merge two SAN fabrics

Hi,

I have two fabrics which are independent from each other composed of three SAN switches and one storage unit. I have connected both using a Brocade MLX and now I would like to create a big fabric merging both of them. However, I have no idea how to do so. Can anyone recommend me a good document to read where I can find that information? Or anyone could summarize what should I do?

Thanks

External Moderator

Re: Merge two SAN fabrics

--->>>I have two fabrics ..../.... composed of three SAN switches and one storage unit.

what kind of SAN switch are present ?

--->>>I have connected both using a Brocade MLX and now I would like to create a big fabric merging both of them.

Brocade MLX are native Ethernet Plattforms, you can handle with MLX the Traffic over IP but are not intended for "Merging"  SAN Fabric

I think you should post a bit more details.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The SAN is composed of a VDX6730, MP7800 and DS6510. MLX is not in the fabric, it just forwards the traffic from one fabric to the other via the MP7800 (it has IP connectivity too).

I guess there is a series of commands to execute in order to create that merging, right?

Thanks

External Moderator

I assume both Fabric are productive, right ?

in order to "Merge" both Fabric into a sinle one, you need to re-configure Brocade 7800 as

VE-Port over FCIP interconnected to E-Port/ISL. This will merge the Fabric's.

there are not a series of simple command to do that, rather is a professional design required which you should planned carefully before begin with Merging the Fabric's

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.