Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

McData / Brocade Mixed environment issues

Hi,

We have 2 fabrics with switches from both brands (interopmode 3). As i'm more comfortable with Brocade products i was expecting to be able to use all the usual commands as alishow, alicreate ... but none work in this interopmode.

If i connect on the McData switches, i can execute a "show activeAlias" without any problem and get all aliases binded to device WWN. Unfortunately these aliases are invisible for the Brocade product, if i launch a nodefind "one of the aliase found on the Mcdata" i've no results. I can't create alias on Brocade switches.

In a cfgshow, the "Defined configuration" is empty ...

I don't understand why the interopmode are called McData Interopmode and McData Open Fabric Mode instead of Brocade Interopmode and Brocade Open Fabric Mode. It seems Brocade adapt their switches to work with McData instead of adapting McData to work with Brocade.

In mixed environment Brocade products seem very limited.

Regards

External Moderator

Re: McData / Brocade Mixed environment issues

Have both switch McDATA and Brocade, the correct EOS / FOS installed ?

Wich exact Release ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

FOS v6.0.0c and OES 9.06.02

External Moderator

By Mode 3 ( replace InteropMode 1 ) with this FOS / EOS Release you must set the Correct HEX Domain ID.

Some FOS Feature are not supported when both Brocade/McDATA operand in the new IM 2 and 3.

A good Guide to understand Brocade / McDATA Interoperability is the FOS Admin Guide.

See here Chapter "Implementing an Interoperable Fabric"

TechHelp24

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.