Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

McDATA Sphereon 4500 - no link on some clients

Only the orange FC cables that connect to our workstations are having this problem. My two MDCs and XRAIDs are connected via the Apple white FC cables and are working beautifully. The workstation cables are tested as good. All port settings in the fabric are the same. Any help would be greatly appriciated. My video editors are stuck working locally atm and are giving me the stinkeye.

External Moderator

Re: McDATA Sphereon 4500 - no link on some clients

Check Port License please.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

where would I find that?

Sorry but I'm new to this switch and I didn't see anything in the user manual.

External Moderator

from command lince, "show.features" or from GUI, check if Flexport License is installed.

From GUI, i beliewe in Configure -> the select Port, youshould see if all Port are Active or no.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Flex Ports is Installed but in the list, just says 0

Screen shot 2012-06-15 at 2.05.53 PM.png

External Moderator

--->>>Flex Ports is Installed...

Wrong ! it is not installed.

0 = Zero,  mean not Flexport are installed, in such case you have just only the default 8 Port Active.

Flexport must show 8 or 16, then are Port Licensed.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

ok, so what do I need to do to get more than 8 ports going?

External Moderator

Nothing.

McDATA Product are End of Life and End of Sales, you cannot longer purchase License, excepted is the Switch under Active Maintenance Contract.

Alternative is to buy next generation Switch e.g. Brocade 300, 5100, 5300, 6505, 6510 etc..

Sorry for that, but this is reality.

Since you have answer, please rate and Closed this Threads

Thanks you!

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

so, wow. I bought a 24 port switch but only 8 ports will work unless I pay more money but I can't even do that because the manufacturer no longer supports this product. It's as if I bought a used Porsche but for some reason I can only go 20 mph  until I buy some intangible object that magically allows me to go full speed.

Well, unless someone out there feels generous enough to passdown their key, I'll post the video of me throwing this thing off the roof on youtube in approx. 15 minutes.

External Moderator

Chris,

--->>>

Well, unless someone out there feels generous enough to passdown their key,

sorry again, but we assume anyone would share any key with you, those key not work as follow reason. License key are associated ( like Brocade Genuine Plattforms ) by WWN and Serial number and since this are unique, nobody can share any Key with you.

--->>> I bought a 24 port switch but only 8 ports will work unless I pay more money but I can't even do that because the manufacturer no longer supports this product.

I can understand that they are frustrated, however I'll give you a simple example.

Is you Notebook or PC they sit opposite the, a Old Intel 386 with any Modern Windows7 ?

I ask because, i was unable with any similarly Old CPU and DOS / Windows for Workgroups to visualized the page this Brocade Community.

Please help me, otherwise I'll Claim my PC by Intel and then ask by Microsoft for Support for my Windows for Workgroups.

Thank you.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.