Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Making an ISL to new switch

Hello,

I currently have a couple of Brocade (4 ports) SAN switch bundle for HP c-Class BladeSytem. They're running on Fabric OS ver. v5.3.0d with Subordinate role, they have also ISL to a couple of Brocade (HP Storage Work 16 ports) switch running OS ver. v5.3.0 with Principal role. So I now would like to replace the Brocade (16 ports) by Brocade 300 running OS v7.0.0c with the same Principal role.

What should I do for this and can I export the old sw then import to the new one?

Thanks in advance.

External Moderator

Re: Making an ISL to new switch

FOS 5.3 is not compatible with FOS 7.x

you must first upgrade the c-Class Switches, and then can you move the ISL from old 16 Port to new brocade 300

TechHelp24
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24 wrote:

FOS 5.3 is not compatible with FOS 7.x

you must first upgrade the c-Class Switches, and then can you move the ISL from old 16 Port to new brocade 300

thanks for your reply, can I direct upgrade c-Class switches FOS to 7.x? do you mean, export all configuration from the old 16 ports then import to the new one?

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

Hi luckyle,

the answer is NO! this is a common question we discussed several time here in the community.

you have to follow the FOS Upgrade Path other you get a risk that the switch corrupted.

intermediate FOS Upgrade is mandatory

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Fibre-Channel-SAN/Brocade-Fabric-OS-Target-Path-Technical-Brief/ta-p/63946

-->> do you mean, export all configuration from the old 16 ports then import to the new one?

No. I assume you have a dual fabric, in such case the simplest way is to Upgrade a Fabric a Time.

before you begin you can run SAN-Health, to get exact details from you SAN, and chek if all Path work correct.

http://www.brocade.com/en/support/support-tools/brocade-san-health.html

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi Antonio,

I found the FOS v6.2.2f9, it's seem the lastest for Brocade SAN switch for c-Class Bladesystem, so is it compatible with FOS v7.0.0c?

Thanks, 

External Moderator

luckyle,

yes, the release is compatible and supported for FOS 7.0.x and all 7.x major release.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.