Fibre Channel (SAN)

Visitor
Accepted Solution

Link two switches using ISL Trunking

Hi,

We are busy migrating data from and old Storage Array to a New One, the problem is that the Old and New Arrays are connected to a diffirent set of switches, so I need to create an link between the Fabrics of Old and New, so that I can assign storage from the new Storage Array to the exsisting hosts without re-connecting them to the new switches.

One side I have two DS-4700M, and the other side I have DS-5000B.

Is it possible to link these two switches using ISL Trunking?

Is there another way of linking two switches without using ISL?

Thank you

Stephan

Contributor

Re: Link two switches using ISL Trunking

hi,

in my oppinion it is not possible as ds4700 is mcdata switch and ds5000 is brocade one.

you can use AG mode

please correct me if am wrong

rgds

External Moderator

McDATA Switch can be ISL with all Brocade until FOS 6.4.x in InteropMode without any restrictions.

Additional, the Brocade 5000 Native was designed to Support FOS 5.2.1_NI, NI= Native InteropMode, the Goal was to Implement the 5000 into a McDATA Fabric.

This 5000 is the Only one Brocade Full Based on McDATA Technology, Certified and Approved over all other 4GB Switch Plattforms for McDATA environments.

see note below

The Brocade 5000 features a flexible architecture that supports native E_Port interoperability for seamless connectivity into Brocade Fabric OS® (FOS) or M-Enterprise OS (M-EOS)* environments. It is the first switch that can operate in SAN fabrics running FOS native, FOS open, M-EOS native, and M-EOS open modes. This enables non-disruptive expansion of any fabric using these operating modes.

Brocade 5000 not Support Access Gateway.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi

I have a similar problem ...

All switches (old and new) are DCX 8510 (SAN768b-2) and the storages (IBM XIV) are connected on the old SAN switches.

We're connecting them via ISL.

My question is: Can I plug new hosts on new SAN switches and zone to this storages that are connected to the old switches?

Thanks

Marcia

Contributor

Yes, absolutely.

When you connected the new switches to the old they become part of a common Fabric, and they share a single set of zoning rules.

You should consider how much peak bandwidth the traffic between the switches might possibly require, then round up a little, and make certain that you have connected enough ISLs to handle that peak load.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.