Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

Licensing Question - Port Trunking

I just recently purchased (2) 6520 switches that I want to interconnect to my existing fabric.  I know I can do a simple ISL to get connectivity but do I need any additional licensing if I wanted to trunk 2 or more links?  I’ve checked the documentation and it appears that the functionality is built into the OS and no additional licenses are required.  Just need to confirm. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Licensing Question - Port Trunking

ISL trunking requires an additional license (ISL trunking) on both switches participating in the trunk.

Super Contributor

Greetings mstollar.  Trunking is a optionally purchased license.  I coincidentally wrote a blog in the 'design & build' section yesterday about trial use for licenses.  you can reference that article if you wish to test the trunking license.

For more info in trunking you can review the ISL Trunking Datasheet:  http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/isl-trunking-ds.pdf

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Occasional Contributor

Hi.

Does the trunking license come standard with the DCX 8510-4 & 8 switches or is this also requested/purchased seperately as with the edge switches (6510, 6520)?

Thanks.

External Moderator

by NetApp, IBM, and EMC, trunking license is bundled by Standard Default License Package, and channel part order.

I've no Info for HP, HDS, DELL, and Fujitsu.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.