Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

LSAN question: Do all switches need to be in native mode?

I've got an LSAN that was created a while back between 2 different  fabrics.  At the time it was all running in Native moved (Interop mode 0  or off) and so everything was honky-dory.  Well, since then a new EMC  was put in place that required a pair of the switches to be put into  interop mode and effectively broke the LSAN bridge.  The reason was the  new EMC could not talk directly to the McData FCIP routers due to them  being old POS's that could only support 1Gbps speed on the fiber  connection and the new EMC could only go down to 2Gbps.  So, they  decided to put the replication ports into the FC switches to step down  to the McData's.  Here is what we have as a setup for the LSAN:

48000 director <-> 7500 MPR <-> 4100 switch <-> McData FCIP

The LSAN is between the 48000 and the 4100.

I  control the 48000 and the 7500, but not the 4100.  The 4100 is what is  being used as the step-down for the EMC (the McData's are also out of my  control).  The 4100 is running in interop mode.  The 7500 and 48000 are  running in Native mode.  So here's the question: Can I re-enable the  LSAN bridge by changing the EX port on the 7500 connected to the 4100 to  interop mode and it'll work fine?  I know the option is there in the EX  port config, but the documentation is not clear on whether all the  switches have to run in Native mode or if only the router (7500) does  and then just configure the EX port accordingly.  It all comes down to a  point of clarification.

External Moderator

Re: LSAN question: Do all switches need to be in native mode?

--->>>Here is what we have as a setup for the LSAN:

--->>>48000 director <-> 7500 MPR <-> 4100 switch <-> McData FCIP

is this config productive ?

which FOS Release is Installed into Brocade's Director, Router and Switch ? and wich EOS Rel is installed in Eclipse ? Is 1620 or 2640 ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I don't think it's really productive, no.  The seperate fabrics that comprise the 4100's and the McData FCIP routers are out of my control and their setup was done by EMC.  I controll the 48000's and the 7500.  I replicate through the 7500 for all of my SAN storage.

The 48000's and 7500 have FOS 6.3.0b (slated for update in October), the 4100's have 5.2a, and I do not have access to the McData's at all.  The problem is that business wants to have an LSAN to better utilize our VLS and LTO backup servers (direct FC transfer instead of Ethernet).  The LSAN broke when the switched from interop mode 0 on the 4100's, which I knew it would since the 7500 ex_port was set to native mode to those switches.  I'm just wondering if it's the 7500 router itself that has to run in native mode and I can change the ex_port to interop mode 2 or 3 and have the LSAN reform without creating issues for either their fabric or mine.

My personal view would be to dump the McData's and move their EMC replication over to my 7500 and then move their 4100's back to interop mode 0 and update them to 6.4.1b along with my stuff.  Unfortunately that is not in my power to decide so I'm trying to do 1 of 2 things: either get the LSAN working again or be able to definitively state that it can't be reformed due to their changes and make the case for moving their replication over to the 7500.  That would be the first step to then trunking the 4100's into the 48000's and eventually migrating off of them completely.

Thanks.

External Moderator

Hi,

--->>>The seperate fabrics that comprise the 4100's and the McData FCIP routers are out of my control and their setup was done by EMC

I think the 4100 is current in Interop-Mode

--->>>My personal view would be to dump the McData's and move their EMC replication over to my 7500 and then move their 4100's back to interop mode 0 and update them to 6.4.1b along with my stuff.

the question is, since 7500 is on FOS rel. 6.3.x ( EOS is not longer supported since FOS 6.x )

If the 7500 is in Native Mode ? !

I believe, "as fair as i remember" you cannot ISL in such case the 4100 with old FOS 5.x in Interop-Mode to 7500 with FOS 6.2.x or higher, that mean you cannot create in such case a Tunnel from in IM set Switch to Native.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

--->I think the 4100 is current in Interop-Mode

I said that it is in interop mode 1, which is the only valid choice if interop mode is needed for FOS 5.2a so that it connects to the old McDATA FCIP routers (1620's) due to the EMC not being able to be directly connected to the McDATA's.  The 4100's are doing a step-down to a 1Gbps connection where the EMC can only go down to 2Gbps (the McDATA's can only connect at 1Gbps).

---->the question is, since 7500 is on FOS rel. 6.3.x ( EOS is not longer supported since FOS 6.x )

--->If the 7500 is in Native Mode ? !

Yes, the 7500 is in Brocade Native Mode (or interop mode is off, 0, whatever you what to call it).  The LSAN tunnel worked just fine until the 4100 was put into Interop mode 1.  The ex_ports on the 7500 to the 4100 were setup as Brocade Native Mode, it does however give me the choice of configuring the ports as: Brocade Native Mode, McDATA Fabric Mode, Open Mode, or McDATA Fabric Legacy.  Again, my question is: Can I simply change the ex_port mode for the ports going to the 4100 one of the other modes and have the LSAN reform?  Or will it cause an issue with the fabrics?  The ex_ports going to the 48000 from the 7500 are configured and enabled as Brocade Native Mode.  We are not going to move from Brocade Native Mode on either the 48000's or the 7500.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.