Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Joining Switches

Hi,

I have been searching for some form of Best Practice documentation on joining new switches to existing ones. But thought i would post a question/discussion here to see if someone may be able to offer some assistance????

Our client currently has 2no HP badged Brocade 4900 switches and they have just bought 2 new HP Badged Brocade 5300 switches. They want us to connect 1 of these new 5300's to each of the current switches to form 2 seperate fabrics. My problem is trying to get my head around the best way to do this and also to try and establish any pre-requisites that really should be done before we try this?

The current switches are running Fos v6.1.0d and i am wondering if we need to get this updated to the same version of the FoS that will be on the new switches? Are there any traps around zoning configs or anything like that??

Anyway, if someone has any experience of this work and could maybe point me in the direction of some good documentation or just give me any pointers on best way to proceed i would be very grateful.

Many Thanks

Andy

Contributor

Re: Joining Switches

Andy,

There are many things to think about in your situation but without going into all the possibilities, I will restrict my answer to your initial question: how best to join two switches in a fabric. See the Design, Deployment & Management (DDM) Guide for a full answer on all the questions you should be asking yourself.

One question that must be answered before joining switches is what Domain ID will be assigned to each switch. These must be unique for all switches in a fabric. It is also a good idea for them to be different across fabrics. You also need to choose a name for each switch and will need IP addresses too.

When you have this, you can do the initial setup of the new 5300 switches before SAN connection.

- change the passwords,

- set up the IP address,

- set the switch name,

- set the domain ID,

- enter licenses.

There are other tasks that can be done later, if needed, such as setting up DNS, NTP, email connectivity, SSH, etc.

Make sure there is no zoning defined (cfgdisable, cfgclear, cfgsave).

Choose the ports on the 5300 which will be used for ISLs. How many? Trunked or high-availability?

Since the 4900 is 4Gb and the 5300 is 8Gb, I would hard-set the ports to be used for ISLs to 4Gb.

Connect the ISL between the 4900 and 5300 and ensure the fabrics merge (fabricshow).

There you are...

BTW, I would definitely take the opportunity to upgrade the 4900 switches to the same level as the 5300 (6.3 or 6.4?) before doing the merge. This may not be necessary (see the release notes of the 5300 switches) but definitely makes sense.

Hope this helps,

Alastair

Occasional Contributor

Alastair,

Thanks very much for that very helpful reply. Thats really great and much appreciated.

I shall go off and look for the DDM Guide but from what you have said there is nothing to much to fear as long as we get the Domain ID's sorted before actually connecting the new switches to the SAN.

Thanks again

Andy

Occasional Contributor

Okay, been looking through all the links in the Documentation tab and must be blind as cannot find anything about Design, Deployment (DDM) guides.Even resorted to trying Google and can find IBM versions from 2004 and thats about it..Putting this down to still being a novice with Brocade equipment/sites.

Is it possible to get either a link to the latest version or just point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Andy

Contributor

Andy,

Unfortunately Brocade have hidden all their doc and other stuff so no one can find it any more :-)

The last version of the DDM is 3.0 dated 2004. So the one you found on the web is fine. It is therefore not up to date but the general principles are still applicable and I would recommend reading it.

Alastair

Occasional Contributor

Alastair,

Found a version from April 2004 (v3.0) via a link to Brocade's Japanese site....

Will give it a read and then hopefully between that and the helpful info you have given me we will be okay.

Thanks

Andy

New Contributor

Hello,

In regards to this topic I have a question on Switch interopmode .My understanding is Interopmode 0 is native brocade while interopmode 2 is mcdata fabric mode and lastly interopmode 3 is for mcdata open fabric.

Scenario 1: let us say you are introducing a B series switch into a McData M-series fabric How are the switch interopmode set. Is the MC data set at 3 and Brocade set at 2 or are both brocade and MC data set at interopmode 3?

Scenario 2: Mc data fabric is operating in interopmode 2 and needs to be introduced to a B series switch ,,   how will the interopmode be set in the B series?

Scenario 3: when it is comes to B series trunking and Mc Data open trunking mode how does interopmode work?

Appreciate your help on this subject.

Naheed

Super Contributor

Hi

I have created a doc in wiki regarding merging . Also pls attached SAN migration guide for the same.

Check the Licenses liek Full /xx domain license for ISL and trunking licenses for trunking.

Also before upgarding the FOS , check the HBAs' driver and FW compatibility matrix. Multipathing SW version.Later on you may face the issues of path offline in AIX hosts and LUN invisibility in windows.Pls find attached compatibility matrix.

Nismail,

Pls open a new thread for your query.

here these are FOS Brocade SWs .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.