Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Issue while converting from Mcdata mode to Brocade mode in DCX connected to backup servers

Hi Friends,

In our client environment, we have DCX Backbone switch which is connected to our Tape backup environment. The switch currently in Mcdata mode and the version is v6.4.2b. 

switchName: xxxxxxx
switchType: 62.3
switchState: Online
switchMode: McDATA Fabric
switchRole: Principal

We need to upgrade firmware version of this swtich to 7.2.1c1. In order to complete the firmware, switch mode has to be changed to Brocade mode. Please provide me the plan of action and pre-requisites to complete this activity successful.

NOTE: Last time we have performed mode chage from Mcdata to Brocade, out of many backup servers, some servers doenst detected the tapes but zone configuration was fine, After driver updated in symentec Netbackup server, tape drives detected and sytems back to optimal. 

So,this time need to check all the pre-requisites and perform the mode change and upgrade actvity without any issues. Please support.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Regards,

Jaikumar

External Moderator

Re: Issue while converting from Mcdata mode to Brocade mode in DCX connected to backup servers

InteropMode was decrapted in FOS 7.0.x and is not longer available.

--->>>.....and perform the mode change and upgrade actvity without any issues. 

to set the Switch in native Brocade Mode, the command is disruptive, because the switch need to reboot.

additional you should consult the FOS target path before start firmwaredownload from 6.4 to 7.2

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Re: Issue while converting from Mcdata mode to Brocade mode in DCX connected to backup servers

Ok, the current version is v6.4.2b. We need to change the switch mode from IM2 to IM0 in order to upgrade th firmware. I am aware of the upgrade paths. But, we need to change the mode from IM2 to IM0 first. 

When we change interop mode change last time from IM2 to IM0 and power on all the backup servers. Some media servers are unable to detec tape drives, dont know what caused the issue. Hence we have reverted to IM2 mode again then somer server worked. But after updating symentec drive in some media server, tape drives detected. 

Hence, I need to be sure this time it should not happen again. Hence need proper planning before changing mode to Brocade native mode. Planning like,... Update server HBA drivers / MPIO drivers / Tape Drivers, etc. 

Pls suggest on that prespective. I dnt find any documentation contains prerequisite for interop mode change. Please give me link if any available. 

Thanks in advance. 

External Moderator

when you change mode to Native, Domain ID will be changend, and the port level zoning may be affected.

Additional, in McDATA mode for device using Port Binding, AL_PA offset is fixed at 0x13, it depend of type of config you have made.

--->>>Hence, I need to be sure this time it should not happen again.

here is no warranty, and 99,999% i get the same problem.

--->>>Hence need proper planning before changing mode to Brocade native mode. Planning like,... Update server HBA drivers / MPIO drivers / Tape Drivers, etc. 

check FOS Matrices and Vendor Matrix

--->>>Pls suggest on that prespective. I dnt find any documentation contains prerequisite for interop mode change. Please give me link if any available. 

is in FOS Admin Guide and FOS command reference Manual v6.4.x

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.