Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Isl and Trucking rules

Hello All ,

I am working to architect a drp site and i need help of you guys how to reserve isl ports to my dr site . I have one fabric core edge on the a side and having two directors on the b side to becoming just only one fabric , what are the rules to reserve isl ports for that fabric . I got a tape library using 8 drivers lto4 on that site.

Any comments will be really appreciated.

Valdir from Sao Paulo Brazil

External Moderator

Re: Isl and Trucking rules

Bouenos Dias Señor!

--->>> what are the rules to reserve isl ports for that fabric

Which ISL Ports ? Want you to attach the LTO direct to the both Director's ?

And what they mean with "....drp site" and "....dr site" ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning From São Paulo.

The scenary is

I got two directors on the Disaster Recovery Site . I have I library with 16 LTO4 FC Drivers. Each drive has just only one fc connection, so I was wondering to split 8 connection for each director , besides that, I have 27 servers that will go to backup files thru lan free solution and each server has 1 HBA.

I need your help to determine how many ports I need to do the isl trucking and what is the ratio fator recommended on this scenary.

4:1 or 7:1 . This director is a 4Gb/sec and it is going to be a unique fabric.

DR = Disaster Recovery Site (b) site ,

Could you help me on that ?

Thanks in advance

Valdir

External Moderator

Valdir,

ok, think i have understand what you will realized!

Just to make sure we speak of the same thing, "Trucking" i assume you mean here "Trunk or Trunking", is correct ?

If you have per each LTO Drive one FC Port, i would Connect 4 Port to the Director A and 4 Port to Director B, without trunking, and if you have Free Port on different Blade each this Drive/Port to different blade in case any blade defective.

Reason, any Trunking don't make sense by Disaster Recovery, because the LTO don't have a data throughput higher this 4 GB Pert Port, and with Trunking thus becomes the Recovery also not faster in this case.

This is my experience!

--->>> .....and what is the ratio fator recommended on this scenary.

--->>> 4:1 or 7:1

I think you mean here the Port Oversupscription ? if yes, this depend by the Blade , are here 16, 32 or 48 Port Blade ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Re: Isl and Trunking

Thanks Tech24 on the previous response

I catched your explanation regarding the trunking and spliting the lto drivers for both directors that I have.

Just one point remaining , Well I got 8 blades with 48 ports each , at this point 27 servers more coming ....

Regarding I have 16 lto drivers and those ones going to be splited 8 and 8 for each director , just in case to have trunking , what shall be the right port oversubscription ? 2:1 , 4:1 ....

I very interested to learn how I can do the ratio calculation .

Thanks in advance Valdir

Boa Noite desde São Paulo.

External Moderator

Re: Isl and Trunking

Valdir,

--->>>.....what shall be the right port oversubscription ? 2:1 , 4:1 ....

This is a good question, i think ( i'am me not 100% sure* ) in this case by the FC4-48 Blade, you have here 2:1 Oversubscription or less , but only if you connect this beetwen Port 0-15.

Reason, Port 0-15 have same Characteristic the FC4-16 and 32 Port Blade's 1:1 , the Remain Port 16-47 are shared Port.

*I don't work with 48 Port Blade, because i think and this is my opinion, Quantity is not same as Quality, and don't have here a Big Experience.

--->>> I very interested to learn how I can do the ratio calculation .

Will see i can find any example and Post here.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.