Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Is it possible to ISL SAN switches using Ethernet Switches???

Hi All,

We have two data centers each with Brocade 4/8 SAN switches installed. Storage and hosts are connected to these SAN switches at each site.

Both sites are connected through Dark fiber, but the dark fiber terminates into Cisco Catalyst 2960g Ethernet switch. Now the question is can we use Catalyst 2960 switch to ISL 4/8 SAN switches installed at Primary and DR using the fiber ports on Cisco 2960 Ethernet switch.

Please find the attached site diagram for details.

External Moderator

Re: Is it possible to ISL SAN switches using Ethernet Switches???

NO

TechHelp24
Contributor

How should I convince the management can you please explain, how the ISL wont work in this scenerio.

I will be highly obliged.

Occasional Contributor

Use FCIP gateway 7500/7600 between  ( on both site)your brocade & cisco. and bind the GE port to the ethernet port of cisco. Like this you can make E-E between san switch

Contributor

You mean without FCIP gateways whether these are from HP or 7500/7600  its not possible?

External Moderator

we discussed appr. two week ago with another member for the same scenario, see this thread.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thanks to all but one more question, what these FC ports on cisco 2960 Switch are for?

External Moderator

Gigabit Port for Ethernet Fibre Channel.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Even i have tried explaining that Ethernet switch doesn't support fc protocol and these are FC-Ethernet ports but my manager response is that I am a lay man. Just answer my question

"In one way or the other the SFP on cisco 2960g ethernet switch is also doing conversion of ethernet data to fc so that it can be transfered via dark fiber" than Why this SFP cant send the SAN switch Data? And if our ethernet switch is coverting ip data to fc and why we need FCIP gateways?

Please help i am confused. :-(

Occasional Contributor

Hi

your cisco ETHERNET 2960 have SFP module.

These SFP Module are only for interconnect other Ethernet Switch by Fiber Cable (LC)

But on this Fiber Cable, cisco switch don't use Fiber Protocol but Ethernet Protocol.

So you cannot connect Ethernet Switch directly to a FC SAN Swicth.

To connect Two FC SAN Switch throw an ethernet Switch you must pass throw Gateway FCiP.

This kind of product (very expensive) encapsulate FC Frame into IP Frame.

SAN Switch------ FCIP Gateway ====Ethernet Switch====== FCIP Gateway----- SAN Switch

OR

Two connect two SAN (depend of distance) you can directly connect Fiber Chanel with Extended Fabric Licence and Long Wave SFP.

If the distance is two far (depend of FC Speed and distance), you must use CWDM or DWDM.

To conclude :

even if you have a "dark" fiber, on this fiber you can send Ethernet information OR FC Information but not the same in the same time.

I hope that it's clear.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.