Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Is a 10GB Fibre card in a server compatible with a 2, 4, 8 and 16 Gbps Fibre channel switch?

Hello,

We have an vSphere ESXi host which has a 10GB Fibre card and a 10GB Ethernet NIC.   Would it be compatible with a 2, 4, 8 and 16 Gbps auto-sensing Fibre Channel switch.       Or do I have to purchase a 16GB Fibre card for my ESXi Server so its fully compatible with the switch?     Can a 2, 4, 8 and 16 Gbps auto-sensing Fibre Channel switch support a 10GB card in an ESX Server ?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Brocadian

Re: Is a 10GB Fibre card in a server compatible with a 2, 4, 8 and 16 Gbps Fibre channel switch?

A regular 10GB ethernet NIC cannot work with FC switch or take FC optics. If you have an adapter like Fabric Adapter 1860, it works with FC optics and is also compatible with FC switches.

New Contributor

Re: Is a 10GB Fibre card in a server compatible with a 2, 4, 8 and 16 Gbps Fibre channel switch?

Thanks for the reply.   Please let me clarify my question - is a 10GB Fibre Card in a server compatible with a 2, 4, 8 and 16 Gbps auto-sensing Fibre Channel switch?   Will the Fibre switch allow auto-negotiation/auto-sense to enable traffic from 10GB Fibre card?   

Thanks in advance,

Jason

External Moderator

Jason,

10GB NIC and/or FCoE Adapter cannot be connected to FC Switch/Port, excepted the Switch is FCoE or Ethernet capable, Example VDX Series or Old Brocade 8000, or in a DCX with FCoE Blade.

hope my aswer clarify all you questions.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I think people have been misunderstanding your question because you mentioned the server also has a 10Gb Ethernet card, which is irrelevant to your question because you aren't asking anyting about it. 

The answer to your question will depend on your Fibre HBA model.  If it can auto-sense down to any supported speed on the port on the switch you will be OK. 

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

Fibre Newbie,

You name is program!

I've nothing understand wrong, and nothing is irrelevant.

Autosense capable HBA= Fibre Channel HBA, can be connected only to FC Switch Port 2/4/8/16 depend of HBA Speed Type.

10Gbit HBA Called NIC or CNA Adapter work only with a Ethernet or Converged capable Switches.

a simple example:

The Emulex LP16202, work with Both technology, as FC and as NIC/CNA, or Both One Port CNA and One Port FC, however is necessary to replace the SFP+ with appropriate FC or 10GB SFP+.

Again, 10GB NIC/CNA cannot be connected to FC native Switches.

And Finally to avoid another confusion, i.e. Brocade 6510 Support Slot SpeedPort - License is required - here can be set the Port 0-7 as 10GB but this Port's are only compatible for 10GB FC Connectivity, and not for 10GB Ethernet Component.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.