Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Is McData 6140 compatible with 8Gb HBAs?

Hi,

We recently received a new server with 8Gb HBAs. (8Gb PCI Express Dual Port FC Adapter (df1000f114108a03))

Every time we try to connect this ports on our McData "Intrepid 6140" the port status goes to "Invalid attachment" state.

I read that most of the 8Gb adapters changed their link initialization process and I suspect that this is the issue however I could not find any documentation for this old McData about this topic.

Is McData 6140 compatible with 8Gb HBAs? If so... do we have any command like we have on Bracades to change the fillword or something similar?

Thanks in advance

Valued Contributor

Re: Is McData 6140 compatible with 8Gb HBAs?

I think you've got it wrong.

You don't adjust your old 2 g director to your new HBA's as it doesn't understand.

You adjust your HBA to be backward compatible. How I don't know, your vendor will know.

Its not uncommon for 8G product to step 2 speed levels, so the HBA is probably capable to run at 2G, but again ask your vendor.

External Moderator

8GB HBA work as 2 GB speed w/o a problem.

probable you have a Old EOS loaded in 6140, and some EOS aro not compatible with new HBA.

E/OSc 9.6.x or higher is required.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for your replies.

The EOS running on the switch is at the "09.09.06 2" level

I am checking with the vendor if I have the capability to make the adapter back compatible with the old "Intrepid 6140" but as far I could see there is no such option in the device driver used by AIX

Any other ideas?

New Contributor

I looked at the switch and I saw that the ports where configured to auto negotiate to maximum at 2Gb and via the fcstat I saw that the AIX was telling me that the port was running at 8Gb.

I hard set the switch port to 2Gb and reconfigured the FC devices in AIX. After that the problem was solved.

I believe that I forgot the basics in troubleshooting this issue... sorry for that

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.