Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Interop mode

I am merging two fabrics and the doc is telling me to go into interopmode 1, the switch poops on me and tells me only mode 0, 2 and 3 are available.  Which mode do I choose?

Contributor

Re: Interop mode

Sounds like the doc you are referencing is much older than the code level on your switch(es). Interopmode 1 has been obsolete for quite some time. I would recommend downloading the Admin Guide that matches the FOS level on your switch.

Modes 0, 2 and 3 all offer varying features depending on what you are trying to do.  If each of the fabrics is just pure Brocade (no McData/M-Series) switches then just use mode 0.

New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response, I am coming to the conclusion that this hardware will not work as they would like it too.  We have Brocade 300s as the core and MDS 9124e as the edge, we want the managment of the zones to be all handled by the brocades achieving this by putting the Cisco's into NPIV mode.  We have not been successful at this even after resetting everything and starting the switches from zero.

Firmware is 6.3.1c on the Brocade and 4.2.3 on the Cisco.

Contributor

I would tend to agree with your conclusion. I believe there might be a way (or possibly more than one) to get these to function and talk to each other, but I do not believe you would get support from Brocade if something were to go wrong.

Cisco on the other hand, does seem to have certain interop modes to allow the connection (basically acting in a "standard" mode and making the Brocade(s) think they are still talking to other Brocades). This guide goes over some of that:

Cisco MDS 9000 Family Switch-to-Switch Interoperability Configuration Guide - Interoperability Overview  - Cisco Systems

I haven't tried such a thing in years, and back then I might have still have had Brocade Interop mode 1 to play with. These days, I believe the only supported switches that the Brocades can deal with would be the M-Series (old McData) switches.

New Contributor

Cheers, thanks for the link.

It technically will work, but it means the Cisco is the main switch in the configuration, the Brocade and the other Cisco are subserviant to it.  Odd config, but it works to present disk, I am recommending they swap out the Brocades or the Ciscos so it can be an homogenous environment.

Retired-Super Contributor

Hi William,

Is this material of any help on configuring Brocade switches and Cisco NPIV mode?

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-2812

Best.

Brook.

New Contributor

I will read through and let you know,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.