Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Interop mode for Cisco MDS connected to Brocade DCX and EMC ED-140M

Hi,

We have SAN network consisted from Brocade DCX configured with "Interop mode 0 (interop mode off)" and EMC ED-140M configured with "Open Fabric 1.0".

Is there possibiltiy to connect Cisco based SAN switches (MDS series) to existing Brocade DCX switches and EMC ED-140M switches?

Hosts that will be connected onto Cisco switches will have to communicate with other hosts connected on both Brocade DCX and EMC ED-140M switches?

If possible we are going to use ISL links with dedicated FC ports as necessary.

Thanks,

Danail Popovski

Frequent Contributor

Re: Interop mode for Cisco MDS connected to Brocade DCX and EMC ED-140M

Nope, not supported now and never will be supported. End of story.

Only option is to remove the M-Class switch from the fabric, turn the B class switches into native mode and turn the Cisco switches into interop mode.

Then for any support questions you have to contact Cisco. Brocade does NOT support Cisco connectivity. Also end-of-story.

Cheers

E

Super Contributor

--->>> If possible we are going to use ISL links...

The definition of Connection between TWO Switches is ISL.

Star Intero-Mode Topology is not alloved, but you can ISL's the Cisco ( LSAN ) to Brocade and McDATA trough NPIV or via

IR = Intergrated Routing ( is a DCX Feature )

Frequent Contributor

You'll put your head in bees nest. Stay away from it. If hits the fan for whatever reason don't expect a quick recovery.

Cheers

E

Super Contributor

--->>> You'll put your head in bees nest. Stay away from it. If hits the fan for whatever reason don't expect a quick recovery.

I'm another opinion.

We ( and Antonio - TechHelp24 ) have moved / Migrated "ONLINE" at several time Fabric From Cisco -> Brocade and Vice-Versa.

And all work fine.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for quick response. Just for to check, if we connect Cisco NEXUS 5020 switches to existing (Brocade DCX and EMC ED-140M, which are interconnected as described in original message) are there any compatibility issues?

For ISL links FC modules on Cisco NEXUS will be used. For host connectivity on Cisco NEXUS we will use FCoE modules.

Thanks,

Danail

Super Contributor

--->>> if we connect Cisco NEXUS 5020 switches to existing.........are there any compatibility issues?

Cisco Nexus ISL/ Fabric trough Additional FC Module to Brocade DCX is Supported and Certified by EMC.

A DOC is available, ask please by EMC Engineerig or Support to obtain this One.

Frequent Contributor

I assume you're in the consulting/services space on the san side. I do engineering level Fibre Channel techsupport and I see cases from around the world were disasterous problems arise. As I said, do start moaning to Brocade or your vendors support group. Brocade does NOT support interop with Cisco. If it doesn't work your best bett would be Cisco.

I've seen numerous cases were zoning propagation failures and even zonedatabase corruption occured or proxy devices were not created etc etc. Also be aware that inheritently you're creating very complex infrastructures and if you don't have very accurate and up-to-date doccumentation every supportgroup will reject a call since they just don't have the time to stitch the entire fabric together when there is a problem somewhere.

From a one-off migration perspective all might seem OK however in day-to-day operational management especially with firmware dependacies, interop modes etc etc you WILL stick your head in a bees nest.

It seems this is going to run in an EMC environment and I whish my support colleagues at EMC the best of luck with this setup. (Ohh and fingers crossed for the customer)

Cheers,

E

Super Contributor

....and I will say you what, you have to learn a lot.

You should only do what you can.

What you can not then write in this forum or leave the people there can better.

And I can do better than you, believe you me.

Frequent Contributor

:-). I know I have to learn a lot. I'm still learning every day. I just want to emphasize what my experiences are with engineering support and how difficult it is to figure out what has happend (or currently is happening) when these complex infrstructures are build.

Anyway, I whish the customer good luck with this setup.

cheers

E

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.