Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Inter-Chassis-Links (ICL)

Hello,

I have questions regarding Inter-Chassis-Links (ICL):

-         - On a chassis level, can I create two logical switches and divide the ICL ports evenly on the two logical switches?

-         - can I assign a customized name to a logical switch?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Inter-Chassis-Links (ICL)

Hi muhammad.al-jallad,

I'm not not sure if I have understood you question correctly, if no please precise the question now.

--->>> ....and divide the ICL ports evenly on the two logical switches?

do you want to divide i.e. from Logical Switch1 Port from Blade1 to Logical Switch2 ?

In this case the answer is No.

Logical Switches are Independent.

Super Contributor

Update of my preview Post Based FOS 6.4.x

When you create a logical switch, it has no ports assigned to it. You add ports to a logical switch by
moving the ports from one logical switch to another. See “Supported platforms for Virtual Fabrics”on page 220 for port restrictions.

NOTE
If you are deploying ICLs in the base switch, then all ports associated with those ICLs must be assigned to the base switch. If you are deploying ICLs to connect to default switches (that is, XISL use is not allowed), then the ICL ports should be assigned (or left) in the default logical switch.

All this is descripted in the FOS Admin Guide.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply!

here is what I am trying to do:

- I have two director chassis which will be connected with ICL.

- I need to create two user defined logical switches on each chassis (i.e. switch_1 and switch_2 on first chassis; switch_3 and switch_4 on the second chassis).

- Out of these 4 logical switches, I need to create two virtual fabrics such that switch_1 is connected to switch_3 and switch_2 is connected to switch_4.

- Can I establish this setup using ICL only. if possible,

- Having half the ports of the ICL on first chassis assigned to switch_1 and the other half to switch_2

- Having half the ports of the ICL on first chassis assigned to switch_3 and the other half to switch_4

-and thus, the virtual fabric which is composed of switch_1 and switch_3 has its own dedicated ISL and the virtual fabric which is composed of  switch_2 and switch_4 has its own dedicated ISL.

Can this setup work? or is it compulsory to have all the ICL ports as part of one logical switch?

the second question: is it possible to assign a customized name to a vurtual switch?

let me know if still not clear!

Thanks 

Super Contributor

Mr Mohammad,

Virtual Fabric concept is little bit difficult to understand. But If you know the concept of VSAN in Cisco, it will be easy to get the idea in Brocade and it is more easier in Brocade.

Inter-Chassis Link (ICL) - A licensed feature that provides specialized grouping of ISLs that connects two
DCX or two DCX-4S Backbones using special cabling

If using Virtual Fabrics, ICL ports can only be in the base or default switch. If XISL is turned off, you can
connect ICLs to other logical switches(XISL/LISL can be understood from the attached Doc)

Virtual Fabrics
• Allows a physical switch to be divided up into multiple logical switches
• Logical switches can be interconnected to form logical fabrics

Note:

A switch must be rebooted after Virtual Fabrics have been enabled

Logical Switches
• A collection of zero or more user ports that act as a single Fibre Channel switch
- Ports can be F/F/E/VE/EX/VEX
• A Logical Switch is a complete and self-contained FC switch
- Fabric services (Name Server, Zoning...)
- Configuration (port, switch, fabric)
- Fabric characteristics (operating mode, addressing etc)
• Logical switches can be created and deleted without impact to other logical switches
- If performance monitors are being used, reassigned ports will need new monitors
• Only one version of Fabric OS per chassis (physical switch/Director/Backbone)

For your requirement you should understand the following :

Three types of Brocade Logical Switches:
- Default Switch (DS)
o Initially contains all the ports in the chassis
o Default FID is 128
o Supports F/FL/E/VE Ports
- Logical Switch (LS)
o Standard Logical Switch
o Supports F/FL/E/VE Ports
- Base Switch (BS)
o Used for IFL connections between logical fabrics
o Used for ISL connections between logical switches
o Supports E/EX/VEX ports only

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can give a customised name

I am attaching a doc regarding virtual Fabric.With illustrations it will be easy to understand.

Super Contributor

--->>> I need to create two virtual fabrics such that switch_1 is connected to switch_3 and switch_2 is connected to switch_4.

--->>> - Can I establish this setup using ICL only. if possible,.....

According the FOS Admin Guide and I understood correctly, this is a X-ISL between a Logical switch in ICL Mode, and such config is not allowed,

see the NOTE or refer the FOS Admin Guide.

--->>> the second question: is it possible to assign a customized name to a vurtual switch?

I'm not sure if you can assign a costumer name additional to a Logical Switch Name.Sorry.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the details,

Actually, I have experience with VSANs in Cisco switches.

Just to make sure I got it right;

- If ICL ports are part of a base logical switch, then all associated ICL ports must be part of this base switch and XISL cannot be used.

- If I need to assign ICL ports to a user defined logical switch, do I have to assign all ports to one logical switch in this case?

- How many ICL ports do we have in each chassis (32)?

Do you have any document or reference that explains the configuration of ICL?

Thanks

Super Contributor

<How many ICL ports do we have in each chassis (32)?>

4 ICL ports in each chassis.

<Do you have any document or reference that explains the configuration of ICL?>

Pls find attached the guide.

<If ICL ports are part of a base logical switch, then all associated ICL ports must be part of this base switch and XISL cannot be used>

<If I need to assign ICL ports to a user defined logical switch, do I have to assign all ports to one logical switch in this case>

If using Virtual Fabrics, ICL ports can only be in the base or default switch. If XISL is turned off, you can
connect ICLs to other logical switches

Now I think ur doubts are clear..

For more see the attached doc

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Hemant for the document,

Apparently in DCX, each ICL port is composed of two 8-ports ISL trunk which leads to 64 E-ports or eight 8-port trunks.

And in DC04, each ICL port is composed of one 8-port ISL trunk which leads to 32 E-ports or four 8-port trunks.

Assuming XISL is disabled, ICL should be supported in user defined logical switches.

In the case of DCX; since we have 4 ICL ports or eight 8-port trunks (i.e. 64 E-port), can I allocate 2 ICL ports to one user defined logical switch and the other 2 ICL ports to different user defined logical switch?

Many Thanks

Super Contributor

yes, it is clearly mentioned in the Doc virtual fabric chapter 11.Pls go through the chapter. Why I am insisting to read it , that you will be able  to understand difference between XISL/LISL. First read the doc carefully, understand ur requirement. get full knowledge about ICL and its use, its licenses, and then use it.

Best of luck to configure the VF.It is easy but needs a reboot--mind it.So be careful

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.