Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Installing fabric watch

Does anyone have any info on how to do this?

Valued Contributor

Re: Installing fabric watch

What do you mean exactly?

Fabric Watch is a licensed feature (on a per switch basis).

After you apply (install if you will) the license on a switch you can start configuring it.

Contributor

I was afraid you were going to say that - configure each individually.  I guess my real question is what are (and how) the best things to configure?  My supervisor said, "just publish a basic port perf threshold across the board per switch."

But I'm not exactly sure what tha is suppose to mean or even look like.

Valued Contributor

Sounds like your supervisor is a great help.

The real question is what is important in your environment.

Basic port pef thresholds is something you could have done with purely with SNMP, yes there's an delay and yes a bit of a hassle but doable.

Using Fabric watch to do just that, seems overkill to me.

Lukily Fabric Watch comes with its own admin guide.to help you in this matter.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/product_manuals/B_SAN/FabricWatch_AdminGd_v700.pdf

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did find that, but it looks a little Greek to me unfortunately.  I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Any suggestions on what to configure and how to do it?

Contributor

Would a theshold policy be what I'm after?  Setting on E_Ports?  If so, what would paramaters look like?

Valued Contributor

So what do you not understand, surely it can't be all Greek.

Most, if not all section come with guidelines and examples.

To get you more familiar with Fabric watch you could have a look at the environment monitoring settings.

This provides you a part of FW in which you can alter setting (unrealistic values) to trigger and alert without touching .

And again, what is important in your environment (from a technical or/and management POV).

If you suffer from cooling issues / brownouts perhaps the environment is important, if you have a longdistance link which is known to be unstable you might what the fabric merges monitored and perhaps its just only the basic port perf your supervisor asked for.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.