Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Installing Brocade Extended Fabric

Does someone have a procedure for installing the Brocade Extended Fabric licenses?

I found an old "Brocade Distributed Fabics" PDF on the web, but it doesn't cover the new "LD" features...

Is there an updated manual? Where is it, what is the link. I looked through the online documentation library but didn't see it....

External Moderator

Re: Installing Brocade Extended Fabric

In the FabOS Admin Guide, here from the v6.1.0 can you find in Chapter 18

"Administering Extended Fabrics"

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

I've configured many director switches before but only in the same data center and never over long distance. I have read many posts on this topic but still not clear. Hope you can clarify a few things. assuming switch at each site will connect to some kind of gateway (xWDM). extended fabric license needed, no trunking, my questions are as follow

1. how should the port on local switch (the one that will be connected to xWDM or some kind of gateway device) at each site be configured? need ELWL SFP?

2. I do understand that extended fabric is to extend fabric (ISL switches) over long distance, what if I would like connect 2 director switches (each is its own fabric) over long distance but don't want to use FCIP and still keep them separate (ie not merge)?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Contributor

SANuser...

OK, my experience was with CIENA 4200 for xWDM, and in most cases only short-wave SFP are needed. Though my customer strategically deployed their distance boxes in different data centers at one site, which required one of the extended ISL's to use long-wave SFP. So net-net, depends on your fabric logistics when choosing SFP.

Second question isn't clear.. For one, you don't have to use FCIP.. As stated in your first question, a distance extenion with xWDM is not by definition FCIP.. Typically I believe the distance solution will split the FC into a number of channels which you can use site to site. So for example, with my solution, the Cienna solution split the 10GB channel between sites into a few 2GB channels. The Cienna modules are then configured to use any of the particular channels for site to site communication...

Contributor

Thank you for replying to my post. as for my second question, what I meant by that is to have both director switches (one at each site) communicate with each other over long distance and each director switch is in its own fabric. However, with extended fabric it would mean both will be part of the same fabric by nature of ISL (in this case over long distance). As described, each switch is in its own fabric.

As of right now (same data center), they communicate thru the router blade FR4-18i (FC-FC routing) and still remain separate. the only differrent now is to extend what I currently have in one site over long distance and two separate sites. I do know that I could use FCIP to replicate my data over long distance without the need to use extended fabric feature but don't want to bother with FCIP.

thanks.

Contributor

Well.. I'll preface saying I'm not a Brocade expert, infact the Extended Fabric I just did was the first for Brocade..

That being said, sounds like what you want is similar to Cisco Transit VSAN.

You want to connect the two switches, but not neccessarily to the same domain. This way you could segment traffic and not let issues/updates on end of the fabric effect the other...

I'm not sure Brocade has such a feature, as it would include Cisco like features of IVR and Transit VSAN.

That is my opinion...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.